Steel Tanks, pre-DOT

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Good morning everyone,
I work as a garage door technician and the other day came across a man with 7 steel vintage tanks in his garage. He offered me all of them for $80 and I couldn't say no. After doing a bunch of reading on this site I have a few questions. They all say ICC 3AA 2250, all the tanks except one had air in them, between 200-1000psi. On the crown of the one without air, I see a hydro stamp and then the word reject stamped under it. The confusing part is there is another later hydro date on the same tank, what does this mean? The other 6 all appear to be in decent shape except for a bad O-ring on one valve stem, I smelled the air coming out and didn't notice any sort of odors or moisture. They are all pre-DOT, 2 have the 1/2" tapered threads with I-valves, 3 have J valves and one has a double manifold. The most recent Hydro date is 1983 on any of them. Is there any reason I shouldn't go get them hydro'd and VIS'd? Also is there a particular LDS in the Venice,FL area that would be more willing to deal with vintage stuff than others? Thanks!
Also, I can take pictures of anything if more info is needed.

Good morning everyone,
I work as a garage door technician and the other day came across a man with 7 steel vintage tanks in his garage. He offered me all of them for $80 and I couldn't say no. After doing a bunch of reading on this site I have a few questions. They all say ICC 3AA 2250, all the tanks except one had air in them, between 200-1000psi. On the crown of the one without air, I see a hydro stamp and then the word reject stamped under it. The confusing part is there is another later hydro date on the same tank, what does this mean? The other 6 all appear to be in decent shape except for a bad O-ring on one valve stem, I smelled the air coming out and didn't notice any sort of odors or moisture. They are all pre-DOT, 2 have the 1/2" tapered threads with I-valves, 3 have J valves and one has a double manifold. The most recent Hydro date is 1983 on any of them. Is there any reason I shouldn't go get them hydro'd and VIS'd? Also is there a particular LDS in the Venice,FL area that would be more willing to deal with vintage stuff than others? Thanks!
Also, I can take pictures of anything if more info is needed.

ICC and DOT are interchangeable when stamped on the tank shoulder, no difference at all, can get them hydroed like any other cylinder.

I personally wouldn't try to salvage the one with the reject stamp. Tanks that fail hydro are supposed to be stamped "condemned" or stamped with XXXXs across the original certification, in this case ICC-3AA-2250. Maybe it was stamped in error or by a non-DOT authority, who knows, some hydro shops might pass it, some not. It's not a valuable tank so why invest time and money determining if it's still safe

Some dive shops have a problem with tapered threads, either with VIPs (because it's harder to see) or fills (because, well, uh, who knows), or both. The other ones, presumably LP72s, aren't really vintage in that they were built to the same specification as modern LP steels aside from evolving tastes in size and wall thickness.

Back
Top Bottom