Steel vs. Aluminum tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was also trying to fill a 3500 psi steel here in Tucson and none of the local dive shops could fill HP tanks and stated that they never get steel tanks in to be filled.

Yeah that's crap. All HP compressors can pump to at least 4000psi, and usually up to 5k. What is more likely is that they don't bank their pressure above 3000 because they are trying to eeeek the most service out of the thing. If they pumped you right off the compressor's dryer, you'd get what you want. But then again, most retail tank monkeys arent bright enough to know how to work a compressor, much less drive to work.

Yeah that's crap. All HP compressors can pump to at least 4000psi, and usually up to 5k. What is more likely is that they don't bank their pressure above 3000 because they are trying to eeeek the most service out of the thing. If they pumped you right off the compressor's dryer, you'd get what you want. But then again, most retail tank monkeys arent bright enough to know how to work a compressor, much less drive to work.
There IS the issue of the different connectors :wink:

There IS the issue of the different connectors :wink:

Well you got me there! Which is why all my tanks are DIN-convertable, even my lowly ponies. Not sure why we proliferate the yoke style in the US, but that's for another thread.

Really? I've been living in Monterey for the past four months and leading tour groups for one of the local dive shops. The only time I see aluminum tanks used (myself included) is as deco bottles or bailouts (on my rebreather). It's steel all the way. All the shops around here are the same way - nothing but steel tanks to be seen.

-Adrian

Depends on who you hang with. I was with a recue class in Monterey and all, except me on my own tank, had rental ALs out of a LDS in Santa Rosa. A class next to mine all had AL tanks as well. When I went out on a charter there, all had steel tanks, but they were a more seasoned group. Once you start buying tanks it is more important to get the right one.

Bob

Last edited:
I just spent 6 months in Monterey and aluminum seems to be the preferred tank, but also spent 6 months in San Diego and steel seemed more popular. Does water temp factor into your decision?

Steel tanks are definitely the preferred tanks in Monterey. I think you are looking at mostly students or people who are using rental tanks. People consistently dive in Monterey usually own their own tanks, which are steel tanks. Yes, main reason is steel tank's buoyancy characteristic for the kind of exposure suit we need.

As for water temperature, Monterey is at least as cold if not colder than San Diego. Steel tank are even more preferable here.

Not Really an issue for commercial at all. My at home compressor will do 4500, bank 4500, and I have tank connections for paintball, Yoke, DIN, SCBA

DIN230 AND DIN300? Cause they unfortunately are not interchangeable..

Ummm......you are horribly misinformed. A 300 Bar DIN male fitting will work in any common DIN valve. The problem is putting a 230 Bar DIN male fitting into a 300 bar valve or manifold...in which you are correct that they will not co-exist.

I don't know of any scuba tanks that are working pressure rated for DIN300 (4400psi), or anyone diving or selling them. DIN230(3442psi) convertables is what I have.

Back
Top Bottom