Steel vs Alumunium and price

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CMH777

Reaction score
Just wondering is the cost difference between steel tanks and alumunium worth the difference. I can by three AL 80 tanks for the price of two LP Steel 80's.

It really depends where you will be diving and how often. I had the same dilema a month ago (AL vs Steel). Since I will do most of my diving in the NE, I chose to go with the Steel tank. On vacations I would not be bringing my tanks with me. I ended up getting a Faber/OMS 85 cf Steel for my Girlfriend and a Faber/OMS 112 cf Steel for me (I am 6'1). An 85 is great because you get 85 cf vs 77 cf in an AL80, and is 1" shorter, 1 lb lighter when empty. The 85 cf is neutrally bouyant empty. Diving with a 5 mil wet suit, I was able to remove 6 lbs off my weight belt. To me it was worth the extra cost.

I choose a steel tank, the new PST E7 when filled to lp its an 80cf tank high pressure its 100cf, the wgt is close to an al80 as is the size. I am very happy with it, the valve that comes with it is flexable for din or a yoke. My biggest reason for steel is to take wgt off my belt.

My understanding is its just a model # but I may be wrong, it has been known to happen.

I suggest that you evalute the tanks for the environment that you plan to dive in and their potential uses, instead of on price. For example, are you diving wet or dry? How much insulation will you need? Are you diving off boats? Do you intend to go to doubles sometime in the near future?

All these considerations are important for your choice of tank.

If you 're in an area that requires a viz+, you have to factor in that extra cost over the lifetime of the tank. If you're sinking an extra $25 (or whatever) per year on extra inspections, it adds up in a hurry. A steel tank will have saved you the difference of higher purchase price just in one hydro cycle.

...the E7 stands for any PST series tanks that's 7.25 inches in diamater.......E8 stands for any PST series tank that's 8 inches in diameter.

Karl

Back
Top Bottom