Stereo lapel microphone

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BlueDevil

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi Guys,

I am looking for an inexpensive stereo lapel mic for adding narration to my videos, and possibly for interviews as well. I found a Sony mic that seems to fit the bill and I can get it for a reasonable cost.

The mic in question is the SONY ECM-CS10 Uni-directional Stereo Lapel Microphone. However I have some concerns about whether it will work with my JVC camcorder and/or my PC. It seems there may be an issue with powering it. See the quote below from a review I saw which explains the issue that concerns me:
"There is no battery unit shipped with this device; you can see it in the instructions, but it isn't in the package. So, unless you are using it with a "selected Sony or Aiwa" device, DON'T BUY THIS. It won't work."

Anyone know if this mic will just draw power from any mic jack (such as my JVC camcorder)? Do I need a battery unit? Is there a battery unit made for this mic?

Thanks for any advice,

David

Most lapel mic need a battery pack or phantom power. This is common. A min-plug doesn't carry power on it. Also, why on earth do you need a stereo mic? Probably better than 95% of professional applications for lapel mics are NOT stereo.

Okay...so it sounds like this mic probably wont work without a power supply. Thanks for that info.

As far as the stereo issue goes I have a Sony mono lapel mic and am very happy with the sound I get from it - it is far better than the built in mic in the camcorder. However I find it annoying that I only get sound coming from one speaker. Viewed on a regular TV this is of little consequence since the speakers are close enough together that you don't notice there is not sound from both speakes. But when I watch a DVD on my computer where the speakers are seperated at each end of my desk it is very obvious you are only getting 'half' sound.

The DVD I am making is an educational one to be shown in a 'theatrette' where I presume the speakers will have a reasonably wide seperation and therefore it would sound odd with the sound coming from only one speaker. So in effect while I don't really need a true "spatial stereo" effect I would like sound from both speakers!

If anyone can come up with a way around this problem I would be most grateful!

Or make a stereo project, put the mono sound on both tracks, maybe delay one by 4-7 milliseconds, and you're golden.

Thanks guys...interesting suggestions.

I am using Adobe Premiere Elements. Had a quick look but couldn't find an option for changing the audio to mono but I will look into that further, it may well be there but I just have to find how to do it.

And I will play around and see if I can find a way of geting the mono sound on both tracks.

Hope these ideas work out since it would make life easy if I can do it.

I am using Adobe Premiere Elements. Had a quick look but couldn't find an option for changing the audio to mono but I will look into that further, it may well be there but I just have to find how to do it.

And I will play around and see if I can find a way of geting the mono sound on both tracks.

I'm not familiar with Elements but most edit programs allow you to pan your audio left or right. If so center pan your mono audio to play on both channels. You could also copy your audio track and move it to the other channel.

Also, narration tracks are usually not done with lavaliere mics but instead use studio mics or stick mics (Electrovoice RE50 at a minimum). These mics are more directional (cardiod pattern) and will pick up less ambient noise. A $40 dollar mic will sound like a cheap mic on a professional sound system.

If you want a mic that you can use for both interviews and narration then consider the Sony ECM 44B at a minimum with a Beachtek adaptor. You want get decent sound from any mic that doesn't use XLR connectors and playback on a theater sound system will amplify all the flaws in your audio.

As with all things in life you get what you pay for.

Back
Top Bottom