Sticky inflator button

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SkiDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi Tobin and others,

I have a DSS Torus 26 wing (love it!), and I just checked it over last night for our upcoming trip to Bonaire. The inflator button is very slightly sticky (offers a bit of resistance that I have to push through when I push down on it).

Is this a problem? It's not difficult to depress the button, but I want to make sure it's safe to use before leaving.

I have Tobin's inflator service tool but haven't used it yet:

P1010201.JPG

I always flush the inflator and wing after diving, store properly, etc.

I don't have a tank handy to test how it works under pressure.

Check Tobin's site for his excellent "How-to" video on disassembly, service and reassembly of the inflator valve.

I serviced mine last weekend - really straight forward. The stickyness on my inflator was due to lack of grease on the 2 o-rings on the inflator stem. Cleaning and re-grease resolved my issue.

Henrik

I agree you will want to work on that before your trip. I had a similar issue with a USDivers inflator. Disassembly was easy and finding the problem was a snap.

The inflator was getting "stickier" over time. At first it was barely noticable, then it would take longer to rebound and stop flowing air, and it got progressively worse.

Fix it before your trip.

Thanks, folks. I'll fix it. Any suggestions on where to get the silicone lubricant, and what brand/type to get?

Thanks, Tobin. I'll check that out.

Any recommendations on where to pick up the zip ties you recommend in the video? I'd like to get something sturdier than the cheapo plastic ones I use around the house.

already said but definitely take it apart and fix it. I did with one once and had no idea how but managed it ok. it had some crusty dust on the parts and I flushed it with fresh water and it was all good. I used the household zip ties, as long as they do not have a metal tooth they will work. I am also going to Bonaire in a week see you there.

I used the household zip ties, as long as they do not have a metal tooth they will work.

Most inflator service can be performed without removing the inflator from the corrugated hose. If you must remove the inflator we recommend using only good quality zipties with a stainless steel retention tang. The common all plastic ties can and do commonly fail. The correct ties are expensive and often hard to find. Commercial electrical wholesalers usually have them.

I am also going to Bonaire in a week see you there.

Enjoy your trip

Tobin

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom