Still flying with my Pony - the best buddy I ever had!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It is weird, there are a lot of people that get very agitated when the subject of ponies comes up, still haven't figured out why. I think there are much more worthwhile causes out there if safety is your game. Take Air 2's, for example... :)

So, I took DIR F, love to dive with DIR buddies, but many have moved to Tech I and like to dive to 190' on tri with 80 cu ft stages, I prefer to dive in the 50 fsw range with my camera. So what does that make me? a stroke, probably, but that's OK. My DIR buddies here still accept me. :)

My pony is for emergencies only, not to extend bottom time, and I will admit to using it once during a total clusterf***, caused by an "Into Thin Air"-like collection of little events adding up to a bigger one, and I am glad it was there. Slung like a stage, don't even notice it's there. I use it for solo dives. Leave it at home when I am with a reliable buddy and not taking pics.

Accdg to my research, catastrophic air loss does occur. Rarely, but... that does me no good if I am that rare one. I also travel quite a bit, so doubles are not a good option for me.

"My name's Chris. I use a pony bottle"

[in unison] "Hi Chris"

:)

So Don,

Did you remove the valve or leave it attached? Did you check it or carry it on? Does anybody know if the older folks that carry a medical O2 bottle for breathing have similar restrictions?

Back
Top Bottom