still safe to buy Suunto D4i novo?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

littlegorgor

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
hi everyone,

Thank for helping me out

1) I see there are some law suit claims about malfunction of suunto dive computer? Is it safe to use one?

2) Is there a sleep mode for D4i novo (there is no such mode for D4i)?

3) Any recreational dive computer for recommendation? I originally used Cressi Leonardo, however the battery runs out after 10-20 dive. I got the battery replaced, but it is low again after 1 year (3-4 dives). I think there is some problem with the computer and want to get another one. It would be best if it is rechargable/ has sleep mode (budgeting around 400 USD).

Many thanks
Gordon

1) safe until it malfunctions.

2) all dive computers go to sleep mode after being on the surface for a while.

3) puck pro is pretty cheap (under $200). Above that, get a Perdix.

I originally used Cressi Leonardo, however the battery runs out after 10-20 dive. I got the battery replaced, but it is low again after 1 year (3-4 dives). I think there is some problem with the computer and want to get another one.

That's surprising. I have the Cressi Giotto, bought used with five dives already on it. In the two years I've owned it, I've logged 105 dives with it and the battery says one bar.

I would avoid Sunnto at all cost even without this lawsuit.
Unfortunately Leisurepro won't ship Aqualung i300 to HK otherwise this is the one that get my vote. There is no need to go for the more expensive and the latest i300C unless you really want Bluetooth!
I won't pay more than HK$2,000.00(US$250.00) for a recreational dive computer anywhere in the world.
Alternatively just carry couple of spare batteries(CR2450) for your Leonardo. Battery changing on Leonardo is walk in a park. #26 O-ring is dirt cheap.

I would avoid Sunnto at all cost even without this lawsuit.
Unfortunately Leisurepro won't ship Aqualung i300 to HK otherwise this is the one that get my vote. There is no need to go for the more expensive and the latest i300C unless you really want Bluetooth!
I won't pay more than HK$2,000.00(US$250.00) for a recreational dive computer anywhere in the world.
Alternatively just carry couple of spare batteries(CR2450) for your Leonardo. Battery changing on Leonardo is walk in a park. #26 O-ring is dirt cheap.

Just wonder why you would avoid Sunnto at all cost? I thought it is a very popular brand e.g. zoop etc.

many thanks

I got a d4i novo this summer, it broke on the second day of using it when I was on holidays.

Suunto replaced it, it has been working since then.

To be honest I think for diving computers I’d always buy second hand if I can. You get a substantial discount if you don’t go for the favourites like the Perdix ...

Regarding the sleep mode..
I got a used D4i Novo about a month ago and while you can turn off the dive computer function the time will still be displayed 24/7 just as a regular wristwatch, only way to completely turn it off is to take the battery out.
No idea how much battery the watch function uses though.

Regarding the sleep mode..
I got a used D4i Novo about a month ago and while you can turn off the dive computer function the time will still be displayed 24/7 just as a regular wristwatch, only way to completely turn it off is to take the battery out.
No idea how much battery the watch function uses though.

A quick search didn't turn up any statement on expected battery life, but from past D series Suunto I believe the intent is for the battery to last 2 years with a reasonable amount of recreational diving, and wearing it daily as a wrist watch. Added dive time drains it faster. (that counts any time in water, if you like to soak it for a day or two after a trip)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom