Still Very Confused

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rort

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I have been doing as much research as I can before I purchase a canon powershot set up. I have been doing a lot of reading and need it to work both on land and UW.

I really like the SX210is as it is 14.5 mega pixels, and HD movies. But I see so many people using the G11 with only 10 mega pixels and no HD movies.

Why is the G11 better?

G11 has a bit better image quality, and easier/quicker to use controls for manual, macro focus down to 1 cm (vs 5cm), and a cheap Canon OEM housing. SX210 has a smaller sensor, which it then divides into more pixels, which results in more "noise" in the image for all but the brightest lighting. The port on the Ikelite housing is pretty large -- I don't think you will be making photos using the internal flash, due to shadowing of the flash by that port.

It depends on your goals above and below water, what you want to spend, etc.

Surprisingly, cramming more mega pixels onto a chip the size of a flea does not increase image quality, only sales to the uninformed. Thus Canon actually dropped the silly MP count on the G11/S90 from previous generations in favor of reduced noise and better overall IQ for the more informed pro-sumer.

Movies, don't care.

N

Well I am moving to Hawaii for school at HPU on Oahu and would like to start taking a LOT of pictures and videos. I am planning on getting the complete housing with duel strobe lights.

I would also like to take great pics above water during my stay there... But it seems like a lot of the info is pointing to the G11...

You need to decide how important HD video is. On a small computer screen, especially in a window, I don't see that much difference. Full screen my 30 inch monitor at work, HD looks way better than the 640x480 you get with the G11 or S90.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom