Stillhouse Hollow Reservoir

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GeekDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Has anyone dove Stillhouse Hollow

I grew up around this lake it's near Ft. Hood/Temple/Belton area. I saw this description and though it may be a fun dive for a weekend.

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/fish/infish/lakes/stilholw/lake_id.htm

FISHING COVER/STRUCTURE
Stillhouse Hollow is an extremely clear and deep reservoir.[/B main lake area is dominated by steep rocky shoreline with limited amounts of standing timber. There are also numerous beds of hydrilla in the lower lake. The upper lake and river areas are slightly stained with numerous laydowns, brushpiles, and standing timber.

Any place that lists the water as extremly clear and deep ought to be dove.

I suspect they are saying "extremely clear" in the language of fishing rather than diving.

I haven't been to Stillhouse in a couple years but some friends went a couple weeks ago. I believe they were talking 10 to 15 ft in the Marina area. I doubt if it would be much different than Travis.

What I was thinking is down by the dam near the cliffs. I haven't been there in 10-15 yrs and wasn't a diver then. It may be tough to get in and out with gear. I may have to poke around on the internet and see if I can't find a dive shop in Killeen or Belton and give them a call to see what they say.

I found one site that described it as 25 ft vis. Would like to hear from divers though. Awap do your friends dive there often and is the 10-15 ft avg for the whole lake. I would think by the dam where it's deeper that it would be better vis.

http://www.kdhnews.com/community_lakelife.html

“Stillhouse isn’t as crowded as Belton Lake,” Dennull said. “I like being out there, it’s kind of quiet.”

The cliffs surrounding the lake keep the water calm, Dennull said. “Even when it’s windy, you can usually find a couple smooth spots to ski or kneeboard.”

While the skiers find their enjoyment skidding across the water’s surface, local scuba divers like Stillhouse Hollow for the underwater life.

With 25 feet of visibility, scuba instructor Edwin Asencio said the lake offers the best views of underwater wildlife in the area.

Asencio owns Scuba Divers Paradise, located in its own shop on the marina. The Down and Under Dive Club has built its own underwater playground not far from the marina.

“We find artifacts in the water and relocate them to the playground,” Asencio said. The artifacts are marked so divers can find their way.

The divers weave around the artifacts including sunken boats, even a motorcycle, to eye the different species of fish that call the lake home.

Asencio said the divers also assist in search and rescues.

There is a new, very small dive shop located in Stillhouse marina. I've heard that for a reasonable fee he will take you in his boat and drop you off at better location that you can reach from shore, and pick you back up an hour later. I suspect that would be the rocky area on the north end of the damn. I tried to hit that a few years ago but boat traffic and wind were not cooperating.

I went out to Stillhouse Hollow last summer and did a shore dive near the marina. Viz was 10-15ft, max depth 30'. Not much to see in the way of fish or bottom features. Supposedly there are better dives there requiring a boat.

There is actually a dive shop on the pier at the marina, I believe it is called Scuba Diver's Paradise. He has a boat which they use for boat dives. The day I was there, he was busy with a class, but apparently they will take people out on the boat for a fee. There are also a few sunken attractions in the marina area marked with buoys.

I'm going to try to get back down there this summer.

Mark

T-dogg,

You wouldn't happen to have any contact info for Scuba Diver's Paradise shop would you. I have been searching the net but haven't found any contact info yet.

All Businesses Showing 1-1 of 1 | Beyond Belton 76513

Business Name Address

Scuba Diving Paradise
(254) 933-8355 1400 Simmons Rd
Belton, TX Map

Awap

Thanks,

I'll give'em a call and see what they think about diving lake Stillhouse and what spots, vis etc. etc. I grew up around there (actualy Copperas Cove) and would be fun to go back for a weekend and get a few dives in.

Back
Top Bottom