"Stock" Regulator hoses?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

huxley_knew

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
First, thank you to everyone on Scubaboard for helping a new-ish diver (and without even knowing it!), I've been lurking for months now.

I just pulled the trigger on an AL Titan LX Supreme w/ octo, and I'm wondering about the merits of buying different hoses (not for different length, but better durability). Is this a common thing, or are the hoses that come with the reg/octo going to be better quality? I've searched around for a while, but I haven't seen this question posed before.

Thanks,
hux

Personally, I don't see a good reason to swap out the factory hoses. While I don't have personal knowledge of this, I suspect that many OEM hoses are built by the same companies that supply aftermarket hoses. At $30-40 per hose it is simply not worth it in my opinion. Maintained properly, your factory hoses should last for years to come. Enjoy your new regulator!

I agree. Stick with the stock hoses, inspect them regularly for any cracking or bulges that look out of the ordinary, and swap them out as necessary.

If they are the wrong length, then swap them out immediately, or better yet, ask the shop where you bought them if they will swap them for free. If you have a brand new 26" hose and want a 24" hose, they may swap them and just add your old hose to inventory (probably only if it is unused).

Standard hoses are very durable even with nothing more than standard rinsing and storage.
Easily lasting a good couple of decades or more.
The 2nd stage end swivel o rings may need to be replaced a couple of times.
Worst thing you can do is store the reg in hot humid conditions.
Generally it's the HP hose that lasts the shortest time.
Rot at the swage is most common failure.
Nothing wrong with the hoses that come with the current AquaLung regs and BC's..........The "Pulsar" ones they were using some years ago were nice and flexible but probably not the most durable.

Wow...quick response! Thank you all for your suggestions; it's a relief to know I don't need to drop another 150 bucks on replacement hoses now. I'll be sure to post back with my first experiences with the new reg (might be some time, though, since my SO/dive buddy is out of commission with a bum foot).

I do find that new regs come with little or no lubrication at the swivel end.....might be a good idea to a get some more silicone or christo lube on that o ring.

If the reg set is new, I don't see why the stock hose would need to be replace for better durability. Unless you want different length or material.

Personally I have found that the stock hoses are often of a better quality than most of the generics I have seen in shops

I also just bought an
AL Titan LX Supreme a few weeks ago and replaced the hose with a Miflex hose

You do not need to replace the hoses. The hoses you have are as good as any, if not better. I too just purchased some Miflex hoses for my Titan, not for better durability (which they are NOT) but to reduce travel weight.

The only reason to change hoses is to move to a Hog configuration or custom requirements of your gear/body or as I did, to reduce weight with the Miflex type braided hoses.

N

Back
Top Bottom