Stolen Perdix AI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tursiops

Marine Scientist and Master Instructor (retired)
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Stolen Monday, April 9, between 4 and 7pm, from outside my Quality Inn room 100 in Alachua FL.
Perdix AI SN 38072D69. Name and phone number on splash screen. Orange silicone cover, normal black straps. Police report made.

That sucks!

I wonder if through SW Cloud (should it get used in that system) there may be some way to find it based on SN being part of the data set....

SW should maybe also consider some form of unlock code in the start-up... (sucks we even have to think of stuff like this).

A remote lock ala iPhone would be a nice add-on

My guess is that a nondiver took it, and won't even be able to turn it on.

I wonder if through SW Cloud (should it get used in that system) there may be some way to find it based on SN being part of the data set....

I'm not sure I want another entity looking over my shoulder. I don't have anything to hide, but we are tracked in so many ways now. Enough!

SW should maybe also consider some form of unlock code in the start-up... (sucks we even have to think of stuff like this).

So every time you splash, you need to go through this unlock sequence? Sort of defeats the auto on feature of many computers that prevent splashing without a computer after your computer has timed out while waiting to splash.

Let's not over think this. This is an alert that pretty things get stolen. Protect them. I am sick that it was stolen.

Good luck in the recovery.

Cheers -

I'm not sure I want another entity looking over my shoulder. I don't have anything to hide, but we are tracked in so many ways now. Enough!

"The issue isn't whether you're paranoid, it's whether you're paranoid enough." If you're using SW cloud, they're tracking all they can track already. It's a matter of trust: how far do you trust them with that data.

I had an issue and uploaded to the SW cloud. Told Shearwater the issue and pointed out that the file was on there cloud for them to look at.
I was informed that they don't have access to that data and asked me to email them the file in question.
There may be a load of data out there, but that doesn't mean people are actually looking at it.

A few years ago we were having an issue at work. An older engineer was assigned to research it. He took data, and more data, and more data. Filled his desk with data. Than retired. Left the stacks of data on the desk. They started looking through all of it. It was just data. Not processed into any result at all. Just goes to show that there may be data out there but if it isn't analyzed it is nothing but landfill material.

I had an issue and uploaded to the SW cloud. Told Shearwater the issue and pointed out that the file was on there cloud for them to look at.
I was informed that they don't have access to that data and asked me to email them the file in question.
There may be a load of data out there, but that doesn't mean people are actually looking at it.

They may encrypt the actual device logs end-to-end and throw away the keys (which means that if anything goes wrong on you birdix, it's bricked), but that does not mean they can't look at the server logs and see what IP address you were syncing your device from at what time. I don't need to look at the data to track you, that's the beauty of it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom