Stop the Distribution of Shark Fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jedah

Contributor
Reaction score
Please go to this link to sign the petition to get Alibaba.com, the world's largest online distributor of shark fins and China's amazon.com equivalent, to stop distributing shark fins and shark products, which is fueling the shark finning trade.

Given the fact that enforcing shark finning bans is turning out to be extremely difficult due to the vast areas that need to be patrolled and protected, it seems like the most viable step is to try to stop the distribution and demand sides of the equation.

The goal is 10,000 signatures, and we are reaching 2,000 at this time.

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeaction/400108473

THANKS!

J.

Forgive me for asking, but was does shark fin soup taste like? I mean what is the appetite for it? Couldn't someone just make an artificial shark flavoring for the soup? I think that would resolve some of the problems.

:popcorn:

sgad:
Forgive me for asking, but was does shark fin soup taste like? I mean what is the appetite for it? Couldn't someone just make an artificial shark flavoring for the soup? I think that would resolve some of the problems.

or better, instead of shark, we could promote whale and dolphin soup :wink:
:popcorn:

I hear it is tasty. . .

My post was not meant to be funny. So far none of you can describe shark fin soup.

Dolphins and whales no good apparently or this thread would be about them instead of sharks....

sgad,

I saw the documentary Sharkwater a few days ago and they briefly described shark fin soup. From what I remember, the fin itself adds very little to no taste -- they season the soup with chicken or beef -- but provides texture. The main reason for serving shark fin soup is not the taste, but the cache it provides (status symbol). It was the soup of the emperors.

very interesting the thing i dont like about the fin thing is they just cut off the fins and dump the rest over board if they used the entire first it wouldnt be such a waste

Yes, i've heard it's a "status symbol" said in the past.
So why eat shark if there's no taste? Maybe there is some mysterious benefit to eating shark.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom