Stop the Distribution of Shark Fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I sometimes eat shark steaks and it is excellent, especially blackened with Chef Paul Prudhomme's magic spices. But cutting the fins and wasting the rest is a serious crime against nature. Like poachers killing black bears for their gall bladders only, like we see around here. When you kill an animal, you should try to use the most of it. I even eat the cheeks of trouts I fish. Nice meat there.

Mods, surely this cause deserves to be a sticky somewhere a bit more visible? 70,000 members will make short work out of the 7,000 signatures they require...

edited coz I forgot to put a "y" on the end of "sticky" and it thus made no sense whatsoever.

sgad:
Forgive me for asking, but was does shark fin soup taste like? I mean what is the appetite for it? Couldn't someone just make an artificial shark flavoring for the soup? I think that would resolve some of the problems.

In Taiwan I stayed at a hotel for 9 months without checking out on company business. Near the end of the stay the GM for the hotel chain treated myself and 2 other co-workers to a Taiwanese formal dinner. We each had our own personal waiter serving probably 15-20 different dishes. This was over 5 years ago

I was sipping soup loudly Taiwan style. Tasted mildly fishy so I dug my spoon a little deeper and to my surprise a very small, black tip of a shark fin appeared. I asked if this was shark fin soup and sheepishly the GM nodded yes. I took maybe one or two more sips to figure out what all the hipe was about. I did not "get it" at the time.

So in my experience the soup tasted mildly fishy.

Since have learned that anything that taste like s**t or is very rare usually has some type of "good for man/women body" blurp following the noun.

Shellback,

It's generally cooked in chicken broth as it has almost no taste of its own. Add to that the fact that it also contains virtually zero nutritional content, and you really have to wonder...

IMO cutting off the suppliers will increase the price of the fins....driving more and more money hungry people living near the sea to practice the killing of sharks.

Need to decrease the demand of fins. Educate the people that are eating the fins, explain that there is no magical powers of the fin. This will be difficult due to thousands of years of tradition.

thepurplehammerhead:
Shellback,

It's generally cooked in chicken broth as it has almost no taste of its own. Add to that the fact that it also contains virtually zero nutritional content, and you really have to wonder...

The soup that I had also, ginger and a clam in it.

Well I'm not an expert on Chinese culture/ cuisine, but I believe a lot has to do with shark's fin soup as a status symbol. If I vaguely recall, there are four "imperial" dishes which were reserved for Chinese Emporers in the old days. These were shark's fin soup, abalone, bird's nest soup, and sea cucumber (I'm not sure about this last one...) and the emperor's staff would search the world for the best samples of these items. The prices that high end shark's fin demand in Hong Kong is staggering (not only in terms of how much fishermen get paid for them but also how much the restaurants charge for it). This is a cash cow for many chinese restaurants. While an average shark's fin soup can cost US$20-30, usually the higher end quality ones fetch more than $100 per serving. And this is traditionally something that is always served at weddings, major business banquets, etc. It's a way for the rich to show off. As mainland China grows more prosperous, demand for shark's fin is getting out of control. It's not just the ultrarich, but China's growing middle class. Supply and demand... This is why you have Taiwanese trawlers and mafia halfway around the globe in Ecuador and Galapagos fishing out sharks.

Sadly, it's going to take a lot to change the attitudes in China. Personally I don't think the petition will do much but it can't hurt. I had an interesting chat with some fellow SB'ers last weekend over some beers (thepurplehammerhead included). We concluded that what some of these int'l conservation groups really need to do is to get high profile mainland Chinese celebrities, a Yao Ming or some famous actresses like Gong Li or Zhang Ziyi to make public annoucements about the slaughter of sharks globally and what it's doing to the ecosystems. Foreign condemnation will have some impact but personally I think the message from within would have a stronger impact on the country...

Sorry for not replying earlier. Have been busy working at night and sleeping by day....

Shark fin is made out of cartilage, and, as such, has no taste in itself. All of the taste in the soup comes from the condiments added to it, like beef, chicken or (other) fish. The one thing that shark fin may add is "texture," as after being cooked for a very long time, the cartilage falls apart and forms "noodles." As shark fins have become more scarce (guess why?), the supply is shifting to "make-shift" shark fin, made out from crab meat (this I've heard from friends, but I can't quite confirm).

There is no nutritional value to shark fin (it's nothing but cartilage). Indeed, it is toxic to humans due to the high concentration of the pollutants present in our oceans, particularly mercury - causing sterility in males and central nervous system defects fetuses and young children.

It is purely a status symbol, and, as the expanding middle class in China gets richer, more people will demand it and shark populations will plummet further.

Major celebrities such as Yao Ming have indeed recognized the ecological consequences of shark finning and have spoken out about the problem, calling for people not to eat shark fin soup.

While this petition may or may not work in terms of getting Alibaba.com to stop distributing shark fins, a similar campaign worked with Amazon.com. We are also pressing this issue upon Alibaba.com by conducting a concurrent e-mail campaign directed to their PR dept, linked to the online petition:

E-mail Template: http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=dcbq44ng_3gv465j

Indeed, the petitionis working at least at the level of increasing awareness about this serious issue among people throughout the world, including those living in China and Southeast Asia. Indeed, we have just surpassed 3,000 signatures, and have people from 5 different continents represented!!!

It is clear that, even if we ban the practice of shark finning from all of the waters of the world, this is a law that would be very hard to enforce for both logistical and economic reasons (look at what's happening in Costa Rica, one of the "greenest" countries in the world. Sadly, it is not yet one of the bluest countries in the world). Hence, we are directing out efforts to addressing companies that distribute shark fins without caring to find out how the fins are obtained, and are trying to raise awareness about the consequences of shark fin soup among consumers, hoping that they'll make a conscious decision to stop eating shark fin soup, and hence curbing the demand. While changing cultural attitides may take a long time, it is certainly not impossible, and we have to start somewhere.

I encourage you to read this document, which contains a wealth of information about this problem:

E-mail Template: http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=dcbq44ng_3gv465j

Thanks!

J.

PS: The sticky thing is a really good idea, webmaster?

Jedah,
TX for the insight on shark soup. Sounds like a waste in this present time. Emperial days.....
You've got my signature--even though they scare me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom