Stopped up ears after certification dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm glad to say that I think my problem is just about cleared up. I can hear fine out of both ears now, and I'm getting less and less crackling and popping. Plus I don't sound like I'm in the bottom of a barrel when I talk which is a relief.

Regards,
Michael

I have to remind myself to keep using the medicine ever after I feel better, but good to finish the routine.

Yeah, I'm kind of the same way. I was only supposed to use the ear drops for 7 days, which ended on Thursday, and honestly I don't think they really did anything but I used them for the allotted time.

Regards,
Michael

I used to get swimmer's ear very often. My ENT told me that I have dry, cracked skin in my left ear (the one that always got infected). The cracks in the skin made it easier for the bacteria to prey. The doc told me to put a drop of mineral in each ear every day after my shower to keep the skin from drying out. I also use a 50/50 mixture of alcohol and vinegar after each dive or swim, and i've not gotten swimmer's ear since.

:lol:​
You know that you should never stick a swab inside your ear? Alcohol in the suggested mix dries well, maybe too well if used too much - like straight, or an ENT physician who posts on ear threads in the Medicine forum likes the electric ear dryer.

It has been practiced in India for centuries as one of the disciplines of yoga. My home bud likes it, and the ENT physician who posts on ear threads in the Medicine forum recommends it. :idk:

I do know I'm not supposed to stick a swab in my ear, but when I come out of the water with no hearing because the ear didn't drain, I have a hard time helping the water get out of there.

The only thing I could never resist is temptation.

I recently read an article by a doctor/diver (don't remember where now, but it was online) who said you need the wax in your ear so don't use alcohol or peroxide to clean it, and don't allow soap to enter the ear canal.

He recommended olive oil.

I do know I'm not supposed to stick a swab in my ear, but when I come out of the water with no hearing because the ear didn't drain, I have a hard time helping the water get out of there.

The only thing I could never resist is temptation.

I recently read an article by a doctor/diver (don't remember where now, but it was online) who said you need the wax in your ear so don't use alcohol or peroxide to clean it, and don't allow soap to enter the ear canal.

He recommended olive oil.
Yeah, if you have that feeling after diving, you may need personal ENT help - from one who knows diving. My home bud went to one after his first barotrauma and he says that doc didn't understand how diving could cause ear problems; my bud may have told the story wrong, but we are 600 miles from the sea in a small town.

True, ear wax exists for purpose. How much is enough or too much is a personal ENT decision. I had to learn how to irrigate my ears long before diving to remove clots of wax that could form, but I took training from an ENT after exam.

Hydrogen peroxide is generally not suggested as it's too harsh, but you can find doctors and articles who do recommend it. :idk:

Alcohol will dry your ears, but 90% ethanol is not recommended because it can remove too much ear wax. Dr.V recommends diluting that with equal parts water and 4% acid white vinegar so you only have 30% alcohol and the mild acid to restore pH. I use 50% ethanol mix equally with vinegar to get close enough.

You can also find DAN articles that suggest only vinegar to prevent bacteria blooms, but I think you lose the drying effect there.

Dr.Mike likes this gadget: Mack's Ear Dryer along with regular use of the Netti Pot.

Keep in mind that I am sharing only as a recreational diver, not a medical professional! See Dive Medicine forum for better info.

I feel your pain Michael...been there, done that. Mack's Ear Dryer put an end to my issues. I use it at the end of the day and typically give each ear about 3 or 4 cycles. $50 well spent!

I've used peroxide for years, since before I started diving even. Maybe that has something to do with my ears not draining right away when I come out of the water.

I started using it when I was young because my mother told me it healed a sore throat. I always found that true, but never considered the harshness.

I did find that it burned my ears once when I had an infection and used it to clean out my ears three days in a row. Stopped doing that.

I'm trying the alcohol/vinegar recommendation now, and won't use peroxide any more. Reading this thread, and that doctor's article, was the first time I really ever thought about peroxide harshness.

Proves you never actually do get too old to learn new tricks.

I do know I'm not supposed to stick a swab in my ear...
Thot of you when I saw this...

208z2oo.gif

Back
Top Bottom