Storing a Scuba Tank

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

With TSA, You never know what to expect..

Jim..

cr-
You might check into using UPS ground or FedEx Home to ship the tank. Just release the pressure, remove the valve if you want (I don't think they require that) and insert a plug or cover it over. Wrap the whole thing in corrugated cardboard form a large box (or use a "lamp" box, which is about 8"x8"x 4' long and can easily be fitted) and send it that way.
The TSA? Yeah, aside from weight restrictions on your baggage, those bozos can peek into anything and possibly contaminate the tank. At least UPS won't do that. And either way, if you tape the tank neck over? Make sure no adhesive can stick in the threads, that might be a problem if you are using oxygen (nitrox).
I'd just leave 'em in the locker, cheaper than shipping down and back. No problems, just bleed them down to 300psi, make sure they can't fall over, come back in the fall. Leaving some pressure in them ensures they have dry air in them. I think most of the divers I know routinely store their tanks with 3000 psi in them over the off season, and after decades have no problem with that, so...reality is that there's not much to worry about, as long as they can't FALL OVER and crack the valve off.

Two things to add to an already well answered thread:

1. My friend had the TSA confiscate his tanks because he taped over the neck. The letter of the law seems to state it must be unobstructed (could contain dangerous gasses if taped).

2. Tanks get stored full for decades, or constantly filled and refilled for decades. Not to worry. Any anecdotal evidence storing tank full has any negative effects?

Regards,
Cameron

I ended up leaving my tank in the storage unit, its climate controlled (necessary in Texas). As for the weights, I had them in my backpack. No major issues, but apparently when going through the scanner, it creates a large flash and required TSA to open my bag and swab it for bomb residue. short delay, no other issues than that

Put the lead weights in a USPS flat rate box, and send them on their way

I did that once and thought myself very clever. The box came apart in the mail and was missing one of the weights when it got to me. Moral of the story? The little flat rate boxes aren't made of heavy enough cardboard to handle lead blocks, so use lots of high-quality tape if you're going to try this.

As for the weights, I had them in my backpack. No major issues, but apparently when going through the scanner, it creates a large flash and required TSA to open my bag and swab it for bomb residue. short delay, no other issues than that

The TSA website is vague about diving weights which leads me to conclude that the checkpoint employees may choose to be capricious about them or not. Larger hard weights, especially, may be perceived to pose a risk either as a weapon or tool.

The good lord gave us the TSA because Disney doesn't own any airports, yet. The show is almost as good, though.

One enthusiastic TSA fellow was trying to figure out what a little gizmo of mine was, so he held it right up to his eye to get a good look while he kept trying to activate it. And when he did, I reminded him that if it HAD been a weapon, he could have just blown his head off. I think he works at McBurgers now, so we're all safer.

I did that once and thought myself very clever. The box came apart in the mail and was missing one of the weights when it got to me. Moral of the story? The little flat rate boxes aren't made of heavy enough cardboard to handle lead blocks, so use lots of high-quality tape if you're going to try this.

The TSA website is vague about diving weights which leads me to conclude that the checkpoint employees may choose to be capricious about them or not. Larger hard weights, especially, may be perceived to pose a risk either as a weapon or tool.

Just an FYI: The flat-rate boxes have $100 insurance included with them. If you lose a weight, they'll replace it. Happened to me.

Just an FYI: The flat-rate boxes have $100 insurance included with them. If you lose a weight, they'll replace it. Happened to me.

The insurance included is currently capped at $50: Priority Mail | USPS

And the problem with that, in my situation, was that I had 5 of these weights in the box. 4 of them made it, and one was lost:

Tin Man Pinch Weights | MAKO Spearguns

I had also hand-dipped the weights in plasti-dip.

USPS policy, I was told, was that I would have to surrender the box and the 4 weights that made it and then the USPS would give my $50. That put me in the red by the time I bought 5 new weights and a can of plasti-dip.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom