Straight dope on Utila diving??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

highdesert

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Greetings, all -

Considering a first trip to Utila this June, and have been reading up online about dive conditions. Many say something like "average Caribbean diving", "lots of whale shark sightings, few pelagics", and then I run across one that talks about "majority of coral is dead, bleached, or diseased" and "white band and black band disease" and "significant bleaching" and "significant algae growth" and "large patches of coral rubble" that appeared to have "been ther some time". This is a report from 2005.

So what are some opinions of more recent visitors regarding flora and fauna? For my frame of reference, how would you compare Utila diving (the actual underwater experience, not the shore or operational aspects) to:

Cozumel prior to Wilma
South shore of Roatan
Bonaire
Ambergris Caye local reef dives

Thanks in advance for any replies!

Howdy All,

Me too, I'm curious for an update from Utila. Me and my wife are going in May.

I just recently saw The Bay Islands of Honduras listed in a Tops List or A List type of article in Scuba Diving Magazine. So it sounds really cool, but I have also heard some just OK reviews.

So a recent update would be appreciated.

Horrible, don't go....

:wink:

cadiver67:
I just recently saw The Bay Islands of Honduras listed in a Tops List or A List type of article in Scuba Diving Magazine.

How to get an editorial article and review in SDM: Buy an ad. Trust only SCUBABoard.

ItsJustMe0770:
Horrible... don't go!

:10: I always smile at questions like this- what is it predicated upon? My doctor said I got only one more dive trip in me so it better be a good one...?

Utila is one of the jewels of the Caribbean. If you are lying on your deathbed, you may well regret not having gone. It may not be for you- but as long as we're talking raw diving here (not topside)- it's worth a shot for anyone!

How does it compatre to: Cozumel prior to Wilma, South shore of Roatan, Bonaire,
Ambergris Caye local reef dives ?

It the same only different. Cozumel has mild current, South side Roatan is a baby critter incubator, Bonaire has the adventure of shore diving, Belize (AC) is a lot like Roatan Southside only dives are further out.

Do them all, then add in Bahamas out islands, Little Cayman, Tobago, and lesser known places. Do Utila now so you'll have time to do Cuba when it opens up.

I started going to the Maldives in 1998 as the Europeans abandoned it because of the coral bleaching. It's a natural cycle. Bigger critters have moved in closer to the reefs. Things change.

After Huricanes, people fret over the condition of the reef. Go- watch it evolve. Life is a cycle. Your dive career is not but a 5 day venture. Be aware of what you are seeing. Take notes. Come back in 5 years. Be amazed.

How do you compare red heads to blondes? They're all great. Just different. Go, have fun, dive.

All you folks just stay where you are and commiserate. That way you won't get in front of my bicycle on my way to and from diving in Utila for at least the next month (or two). LaCuda and I are leaving tomorrow.......I'll post if the net is back up and I can find time and feel like it.

Regards,

If you search on "Utila Trip Report" you'll find numerous threads listed. As Roatan Man notes ignore the SDM reports. I originally joined the ScubaBoard to get info on Bay Islands diving. My wife & I spent a week in Utila in May, 2005 and we would go back without hesitation. You'll find my trip report among those listed.

Oh...and if you are looking for a 'Carlos and Charlies' type of night life, you won't find it on Utila.

SeaOtter:
Oh...and if you are looking for a 'Carlos and Charlies' type of night life, you won't find it on Utila.

Yeah, Carlos & Charlies~ that would be on Guanaja.

Utila just opened their first McDonalds but it is located on the third floor of the Galeria in the food court down from Jimmy Buffet's Cheeseburger in Paradise and next to the Golden Corral Buffet.

For Starbucks... that's on Roatan.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom