Strange Creature in Lake Ouachita, AR

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Archman is awesome. When I first saw it, I thought of a giant African cichlid, but not in Arkansas. :)

TheRedHead:
You sayin' I'm a smartypants? :28:

Well sometimes. :lol:

I've found fossils around the Mississippi River and have taken them to the university for ID. They're very helpful. Just call the anthropology department at the local university.

hehehe, :D Just givin ya crap, lol :lol: But it's true from what I've seen so far. Your a very smart lady :wink:

Tada! Mystery solved. Good work Archman :wink:

archman:
I have a lower jaw from a black drum that looks almost exactly like that. I expect that the jaw of a freshwater drum would look similar. Does that species occur in your area?

Many thanks. Yes, we have lots of freshwater drum. You can frequently hear them when diving in the lake. They sound like underwater bullfrogs. I have caught and shot a number of them over the years, but never knew they had a mouthfull of teeth like this. I am suprised that so many locals, including fish and game folks, did not know what this was. http://ltc.smm.org/buzz/museum/obje...th_from_freshwater_drum_aplodinotus_grunniens

Back
Top Bottom