Strange IP behavior on a freshly serviced regulator - what's going on?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Compressed air released from a scuba tank can cause dirt, debris, bugs, and of course saltwater to fly around a dive boat including into the eyes of other divers.
You're doing it wrong.
  • Never dive with a DIN dust cap. Leave it on the boat or shore. You're stuck with most yoke caps, but try to leave those as well.
  • Loosen the reg (DIN or yoke), but don't remove it. Gently crack the air open driving the water away from the orifice.
  • There is no way in hell that you're going to blow a bug in someone's face doing that.

I don't use compressed air to dry anything. But the question was about drying the dust cap not the regulator.

But the question was about drying the dust cap not the regulator.
So you're still doing it wrong. Why get it wet???

My dust cap stays out of the water at all times........................

Except for the soak tub

So you're still doing it wrong. Why get it wet???

The dust cap on a yoke regulator typically remains attached to it during the dive. I suppose it can be removed but then it's subject to loss- which could be far more devastating to the first stage when it needs to be rinsed after the dive.

The dust cap on a yoke regulator typically remains attached to it during the dive. It gets wet because it's underwater.

Now that is telling someone how to suck eggs

I suppose it can be removed but then it's subject to loss-
You're still doing it wrong. A small bolt snap can clip it to your dive bag. But even if you leave it on, simply dry it off when you're passing gas on the loosened reg. No biggie and you should be safe from them thar flying bugs.

You're still doing it wrong. A small bolt snap can clip it to your dive bag. .

Interesting idea. I'm going to play devil's advocate though. It's an extra step- you've gotta bend down, rummage under what might be a crowded dive boat bench, find your bag, then clip it to the bag which is usually prone to.. getting wet. After the diving, you've gotta go find that clipped off regulator cap on the bag which is probably shifted around quite a bit and not exactly as you left it 3 or more hours and 2+ dives earlier.

Seems like a lot of trouble to fix a problem that isn't really all that much of a problem. I would never use the dust caps that trap and hold water- and the flat ones don't typically hold enough water to be an issue. For me it's a quick shake and maybe rub it against my shirt before closing up the regulator post dive.

Seems like a lot of trouble to fix a problem that isn't really all that much of a problem.
You're still doing it wrong then. :D :D :D

Back
Top Bottom