Strange Little Critter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

puytioco

Reaction score
I need help figuring out exactly what this critter is. It's just quite strange. It doesn't quite look like a fish nor does it look like a crustacean. Here is a little description.

• It is square/rectangular in shape.
    The two (2) eyes face directly forward.
    It has a mouth with teeth.
    It does not have fins.
    It moves by walking on 4 or 6 legs (I still need to examine my not-so-good video very carefully to check that one out).
    Sighted the creature during a night dive.

Cheers.

Wow...I didnt think Jim Henson was still with us... :D

No idea, but he's a cute one...whatever he is...

It's a marine Tribble . . .

the K

Not sure how much help it'll be, but where did you find him? And how deep?

Other than the "mouth with teeth" it looks like a decorator crab whose decorations are growing out of control. Walking on six legs certainly supports this.

-Mark

found this baby here in the philippines at a depth of about 12msw or 40fsw on a night dive.
what also makes this not a crab is the fact the eyes aren't on stalks. flipping it over to see its underside shows no crab either.

hey maractwin...dive log for mac??? oh wait... i wonder if i can get it to talk with a diverite...nice avatar, my friend is trying to id that one as well.

puytioco:
hey maractwin...dive log for mac??? oh wait... i wonder if i can get it to talk with a diverite...nice avatar, my friend is trying to id that one as well.

I've never tried a Diverite computer. A higher priority is adding support for some of the more popular brands, but I wouldn't rule them out, especially if the manufacturer were willing to help.

My avatar is a midas blenny, Ecsenius midas, shot in Fiji.

-Mark

After showing my professor (the crab expert), my theory about it being a frogfish was blown apart. She thinks it's a decorator crab, and ran off to consult her authorities.

The "fish mouth" is the top of the palate, and if it's a crab, all the feeding mouthparts are obscured further down under the fuzzy stuff.

The eyestalks are very short in brachyuran crabs, and sometimes barely noticeable.

archman:
After showing my professor (the crab expert), my theory about it being a frogfish was blown apart. She thinks it's a decorator crab, and ran off to consult her authorities.

The "fish mouth" is the top of the palate, and if it's a crab, all the feeding mouthparts are obscured further down under the fuzzy stuff.

The eyestalks are very short in brachyuran crabs, and sometimes barely noticeable.
Decorator crab was the only thing that popped to mind for me too. But I sure wouldn't put any money on it :)
Rick

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom