Strange Sea Creature Spotted in Curacao???????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nivek Llekots

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Anyone know what this is !!!!

I've done many dives in Curacao but never seen this before. At first I thought it was a long tubular plastic bag, but as I got closer it seemed to be organic, it was about 3 meters long and 20 cm in diameter and trapped at the bottom around a tube sponge. Some fish seemed to be feeding on it, and if you zoom in it seems to contain eggs!!!

Anyone got any ideas???????

DSC01337.jpgDSC01339.jpg

Hey Nivek,

I've seen those here in Curacao a few times over the years. Almost always when the weather has been funny like it has been lately, and almost always at Porto Marie. I looked them up the first time I found them, and did get an ID (maybe some kind of Salp, but I could easily be mistaken). If no one else gives you an ID I'll find them when I get to my fish ID books and let you know. Nice find though, they are pretty rare here!

Jeff

Squid egg case?

Looks like a Pyrosome.

That's cool

check this out. the description identifies it as "Pyrostremma spinosum"

[video=youtube;5EQGA_4BZ5s]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5EQGA_4BZ5s[/video]

That video reminds me of "The Abyss"!! :alien:

Honestly, I'd be a little freaked out if I saw one of those while diving.

I saw this too about a week ago during an introductory dive. It is definitely not the tube that is shown in the video. As soon as you touch this you go through it. I think Stareyehermit identifies it correctly in his mail as squid eggs. I have seen these several times over the years that I dive in Curaçao.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom