Strategies for economizing on gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TSandM

Missed and loved by many.
Rest in Peace
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
I know we always tell aspiring technical or cave divers that, if the cost of the gear is an issue, the cost of the diving will be unsupportable.

But for a lot of people, even getting into equipment where they can begin to build the skills is a big deal.

I'm considering writing an article for a publication about where and how one can economize, in switching over from recreational to technical style equipment. I have my own ideas about good sources for used or lower cost stuff, and about what one should be watchful for, and what servicing or other checks are necessary before using what one has bought. But there are a lot of people out there with more experience than I have, and I'd love to hear any suggestions for where and how to acquire lower cost equipment, and/or what to do to make sure one's purchases are both safe and cost-effective.

When dealing with recreational diving,using 2nd and 3rd tier level equipment is acceptable,since rarely are you in an environment that a controlled ascent won't bail you out. In cave/technical diving,where your equipment is truely life support,I don't think having low quality equipment is acceptable. There is some equipment on the market that is lower cost,but high quality,because they don't carry the "logo" of a larger named company;but in every endeavor caveat emptor.

Personally anything that slows down the rapid progression of tech divers is a good thing. There are way to many people around who throw on a set of doubles and a long hose and think they're good to go.

I think looking at shops like Cave adventurers and Cave excursions is a good start. Most recreational dive shops will order any Tec gear but their prces are just nuts. Also looking at companies and brands like Hog regs is another. One thing I did was talk to the people who I look to as mentors and asked their advice and such.

I know we always tell aspiring technical or cave divers that, if the cost of the gear is an issue, the cost of the diving will be unsupportable.

But for a lot of people, even getting into equipment where they can begin to build the skills is a big deal.

I'm considering writing an article for a publication about where and how one can economize, in switching over from recreational to technical style equipment. I have my own ideas about good sources for used or lower cost stuff, and about what one should be watchful for, and what servicing or other checks are necessary before using what one has bought. But there are a lot of people out there with more experience than I have, and I'd love to hear any suggestions for where and how to acquire lower cost equipment, and/or what to do to make sure one's purchases are both safe and cost-effective.

There are a couple of things I did to help with costs. One was to figure out what gear I wanted and keep an eye on Ebay. I determined what a fair price was for used gear and bought a couple of things from there based on that, and the knowledge that I may have to do some repair to it. I bought a complete Halcyon BPW and it included a knife for $200. Seller had a good reputation and it came with a money back guarantee.

I also approached my LDS about stuff. They knew what my intent was and what I was looking for. They let me know whenever manufacturers offered specials on gear (DiveRite was one notable one). Since they weren't a tech oriented shop that carried a lot of that type of gear, they also agreed to give me special pricing on anything I ordered.

I was using DiveRite regs and they (my LDS) agreed to sponsor me to take the DR reg technician course at DEMA one year. After that, I bought 5 DR reg sets out of their rental fleet for $100 each and serviced them myself when they upgraded to new regs.

I've also gotten together with friends and done group buys on stuff to get the price knocked down some expensive items.

No matter how you slice it, tech diving isn't going to be cheap, but there are ways to help defray some of the costs. One of the best ways, IMO is to figure it out early and not buy a bunch of gear that's gonna end up sitting in your closet.

Last edited:
well for one, I don't think I've ever bought a new tank. and the bulk of my regulators were used when I bought them.
I started fresh out of college and had to make some compromises.
there's nothing wrong with buying used gear if you know what to look for and service it before use

The trick is to be patient and wait for good deals on big ticket items to present themselves.

Like Litehedded, I rarely buy a new tank and almost all of my regs were used (and each and every one of them is a top of the line scubapro).

For undergarments and other drysuit stuff, I check DUI's factory refurbished list frequently. I just scored another old stock 400g thinsulate undergarment for 100 bucks, and a 200g for 80 bucks, brand new. You can't beat that with a stick.

What I feel is unacceptable is cheap/ crappy equipment. I won't settle for anything but awesome gear, even if I have to wait. The rush to get stuff is how folks end up with junk equipment. What's that old saying? You can have it cheap and good, but it won't be fast.

the dui list is a gem

there are hoods on there for like 10 bucks. of course, nothing is ever in my size

Oh, thanks for reminding me about the DUI list! That's one I would have forgotten.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom