Strategies if an o-ring pops at depth

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Agreed. In the Maldives, they even set asite some tanks exclusively for those hopeless aliens (us!). However, I had major issues last summer in France where we had to dig into the bottom most part of the boat to find some.

if in any case! You loose air! you have plenty time for your accent! not faster than 1 foot per second! You can cut your hose and still have enough time to get to the surface! just make shure you stay in the limits of recreational diving! Remember u should resurface with at least 500 psi!
Happy diving be safe!

if in any case! You loose air! you have plenty time for your accent! not faster than 1 foot per second! You can cut your hose and still have enough time to get to the surface! just make shure you stay in the limits of recreational diving! Remember u should resurface with at least 500 psi!
Happy diving be safe!
Sorry, but no its not that simple unfortunately.
The HP hose you can cut without much fuzz, the LP hose however will lose you air FAST.
Have a look at Scuba Diving Videos Cutting a Divers Hose Scuba Videos and tell me how that would comply with a safety stop of 3 minutes, or even worse if youve got deco obligations.
Hint: not well, but fortunately its EXTREMELY unlikely unless youre an evil henchman in a Bond movie..

Happy diving be safe!
Is that you, Papa Bear?!!:D

Is that you, Papa Bear?!!:D

:rofl3: Good observation, relative to style, content, and of course !!!! signs. :D

Best wishes.

DIN is definately the answer, all the dive companies I've used in Europe/Middle East/Australia have screw in/out adapters on their tanks. I've got my own DIN-A Post adapter just in case and have never used it!

DIN is definately the answer, all the dive companies I've used in Europe/Middle East/Australia have screw in/out adapters on their tanks. I've got my own DIN-A Post adapter just in case and have never used it!

As I said earlier, the only time I have ever seen this happen was on a DIN regulator.

feel free to flame me if this has been said already...

even if one goes Din but has to use the yoke adapter....problem still arises that they are still relying on the same blowout prone dilapidated yoke o-ring.

So now we look for a pro type tank valve... UMMM as a former live aboard guide, I can say it would have been decidedly not met with enthusiasm if some guest starts pulling the plug that allowed our fill whips to connect. Actually I can just imagine the language certain of my coworkers would have used (IN PRIVATE mind you) to describe such an action, if the captain stood for it, in plain view of the 18 din-yoke adapters we carried on board.

so we are right back where we came from: still relying on the same o-rings that get connections made and broken up to 10x per day (5 dives, 5 fills). keep in mind they are subject to intense weather and UV attacks too... they fail OFTEN; spares are 99% of the time readily available which leads me to my solutions:

Get a new O ring before you dive.

1)sabotage your o-ring and get a new one before the first dive.

2)ask nicely if they will let you put a new one of theirs in

3)put your own new Oring in from your personal stash (there arent that many standards sizes)

or if there is a decent crew, and if you are a nice honest person, take one of the friendlier crew aside, in private, and tell them you have a paranoid vision of it failing and would feel infinitely better if they would be so kind as to install a new one for your peace of mind. Say it with a smile and a bit of humor and watch 'em jump trying to help.

...Flip side however: Say it wrong, or to the wrong crew on the wrong day, and you have just labelled yourself as a high maintenance guest.

my 2psi

I have seen a few o rings fail but they never do later. When an o ring fails it does so right away.

If I was diving an o-ring failed I think I would take advantage of the fact I do no deco diving as rule and return to the surface. hello?

just happend to my divebuddy last month. It means end of the Dive! Normal accent! As long as you hear the air you will have air!

Back
Top Bottom