Stress Rescue / EFR ? CRP? First Aid?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

yyidus

Registered
Reaction score
Hi guys, quick question about Rescue Diver / Stress Rescue...

I'm considering taking the Rescue Diver course, as it has been strongly recommended. I note in the recommendation that "Current Training in CPR/First Aid" is required, and an Emergency First Response Course is highly recommended.

I figured I'd take these courses at the local Red Cross, but am having trouble figuring out which courses are actually the recommended ones. Looking at:

Individual Training

Am I going for :
Adult CPR/AED with First Aid?
CPR/AED for the Professional Worker?
Emergency Response ?

At first I thought it was 'Emergency Response' but that course seems to take quite a few days. Is that expected?

Thank you for all input...

Not being an instructor, I won't get into the details of which EFR/CPR course is required, by NAUI, PADI, SSI, etc. But if you're considering getting & maintaining CPR check into how long the interval is between refreshers to maintain the certification. Last time I checked Red Cross CPR needed to be refreshed every year. American Heart Assn. CPR needs refreshing only every 2nd year. So if you plan or need to keep your CPR certification there could be a long term cost difference depending on where you take CPR.

I beleive Adult CPR/AED with First Aid is the one you need. At least that was pretty much what was covered in the Padi EFR course.

Why not ask your Instructor? I did and I took the courses he told me to take.

Presently, I maintain American Heart Association BLS for Healthcare Providers and American Safety & Health Institute Universal First Aid.

I'm pretty sure the first one is the one you need-Adult AED/CPR with First Aid

Take the Red Cross CPR for the Professional Rescuer or the American Heart Ass. for Health Care Providers. Either course teaches stand alone Rescue Breathing which is real important for water emergencies. Then do the stand alone First Aid course. Also the Pro course usually includes AED, infants and children.

Yes, ARC is one year, most of the others are two years. If I were King it would be required every 6 months for Dive Professionals. I find that most people have forgot about it in about three months unless it is some how a part of there day to day life. Also the refresher courses are shorter and cheaper. Tonight I am teaching a CPR/Pro review in three hours. The class will be mostly lifeguards.

Yes I am an ARC Instructor, PADI DM, SSI Dive Con, DAN DES Instructor and I have my opinions.

good luck don O

My suggestion is slightly different and, admittedly, will take more time (~120 hrs): Obtain certification as an Emergency Medical Technician (EMT). I have nothing against programs offered through the ARC (I taught for them for almost 20 years), but the knowledge gained in patient assessment, recognition and management of medical & trauma emergencies, airway management and oxygen administration (just to name a few!) will be VASTLY superior to what you'd receive in one of the ARC classes. If you check with your local EMS training provider, I think you'll find your AHA BLS for Healthcare Providers will be included as part of the program.

Yes, more contact hours, but the confidence and competence you gain to function in a broad scope of emergency situations is invaluable.

Hi guys, quick question about Rescue Diver / Stress Rescue...

I'm considering taking the Rescue Diver course, as it has been strongly recommended. I note in the recommendation that "Current Training in CPR/First Aid" is required, and an Emergency First Response Course is highly recommended.

I figured I'd take these courses at the local Red Cross, but am having trouble figuring out which courses are actually the recommended ones. Looking at:

Individual Training

Am I going for :
Adult CPR/AED with First Aid?
CPR/AED for the Professional Worker?
Emergency Response ?

At first I thought it was 'Emergency Response' but that course seems to take quite a few days. Is that expected?

Thank you for all input...

The Emergency Response course is most comprehensive but is aimed at First Responders. It is rather lengthy...up to 48 hours.
I would opt for a First Aid Basics and the CPR/Professional Rescuer course which covers Adult/Child/Infant and use of protective equipment as well as an AED. The CPR/PR course will run you about 8 hours in length. First Aid around 2.5 hours. Make your decision with training in mind and not just the desire to meet a cert requirement. Enjoy thew class!:wink:

My Rescue Diver course included Emergency Response as a seperate section. Good to always have.

Back
Top Bottom