STROBE advice and AF question for the DX-1G

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Marc Benhamou

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello!

I just purchased a second Strobe YS-110a with the DX-1G.
Any advice on a "work well (experienced) set up".

The camera is great on macro so i decided to add a macro lens. Tested on land
Auto focus is working but i am puzzled how it is possible since ring blocks completely
both AF windows of housing. (the same than wide angle).
Just curious for an explanation!

Marc

HI Marc-
The DX-1G autofocus is actually through the lens, so even with a wide-angle or close-up lens attached the camera will focus properly on the subject.
The 110 Alpha's are a great pairing with the 1G, run them both in manual or if you prefer DS-TTL mode. For DS-TTL settings would be TTL, Slave on. For manual select power setting 1 and slave on. Use a fiber optic cable with each strobe for optimal performance.

Hi Sea&Sea-

Thanks for prompt reply.
Clear for the strobes but What about the camera...
Flash on , Sea & Sea mode and Auto Iso OR
Flash on, cloudy (like the warm), A, M or P and ISO 100 or 200.
Sorry for these beginner questions but i would like to pass the "all automatic level" to the next one...

So if autofocus is through the lens what is the purpose of the AF windows on the camera and green beam?

:)
Marc

Hi Marc-
Checkout a recommended setup HERE. This should help with the camera settings and to get you going. The best recommendation would be to take a local u/w or basic photography class to get you to the next level and of course, practice, practice, practice.

Marc, I would recommend putting the ISO on 100. At 400 or higher you begin to get noise in the pictures. ISO 100 works find. I also set my Fn button to change to focus. When taking a shot at a single subject you want it on spot focus, but for above water or for a reef shot you may want a multi-focus option. You definitely want to have the camera's strobe to always fire since that is the only way the YS-110a will fire. I always set the white balance to cloudy. Since I shoot in manual mode, the camera will not allow you to manually set the white balance. Also, make sure that you have the "histogram" showing. The histogram will allow you to see if you are underexposed or overexposed. I have also taken a couple of online courses that really helped. Here is the link: The Underwater Photographer, Underwater Digital Photography Classes: Improve your underwater photos. Marty and Bonnie were great about answering any questions that I had while taking the courese. Email me at jamescrew6@verizon.net if you have any questions.

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Bill

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom