Strobe Arm Reviews and Opinions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RTRski

Contributor
Reaction score
Starting to scrape together money to house my Oly E-330 and want to go dual Ike DS125s w/ an Ike housing. Primary interest in WA photography, but won't be going as far as the 7-14 lens anytime soon (ka-ching...ouch!).

Anyone have any comparison advice regarding strobe arms?

Ike's own? 1" ball sufficient for DS125, or does size matter and I should graduate to the 1 1/4" balls? (keep the comments on topic folks)

Aquatica TLC arms look pretty spiffy with that "Holey Rebar, Batman!" look to them, and come with Ike fittings and adaptors. Cost a bit more too. Are they better than Ike? I admit I like the look of the elbow wheels but am I just falling for glitzy marketing?

Flex-arms sound nice, but are they strong enough for DS125s and do they keep their position well as they age?

DIY recommendations or ideas, perhaps?

Ike's arms are very good. A bit heavier than the ULCS arms, but they will also not need any extra bits to work with your system and they are a bit cheaper.

Love ULCS arms and if they are in the budget then I'd go for those.

I'll vote for my TLC's. Yes I paid handsomely for them but love 'em to death.

I vote for ULCS over Ikelite. The o-rings in the ULCS joints mean that you don't have to tighten the clamp as much to prevent movement. I also like the wide range of components that you can get from ULCS. I sold my Ikelite arms when I bought the ULCS.

David

they should advertise here.....

I used the Ikelite arms on my housed DSLR last year and I'm using ULCS arms this year.

The Ikelite arms are good, but are a pain every time you want to make a lighting adjustment and I had toruble getting them to hold angles with heavy strobes.

The ULCS arms are much easier to reposition and hold VERY well.

I vote for ULCS if they're in your budget.

Another vote for ULCS, buy the best the first time and have an arm system that grows with you and you'll use for life.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom