Strobe - camera

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

badger729

Reaction score
How do you know what strobe works with your camera? From all the web sites i've been to I haven't figured it out yet. I have a Sony DSC-P1 with MPK-P1 housing. Any website or info on what strobes work the best with this set up would be appreciated. :D

Badger729, I have the Sony DSC-P10 and have yet to get a strobe, but have been looking into it intently. It looks like the best two option for this camera are the Sea and Sea YS-25 and the YS-90 auto strobes with the fiber optic cable attachment to fire the strobe. ScubaToys has some of the best prices for these strobes.

OK, I see that this has been a lot harder than I thiught it would be. I must have emailed and talked to about 20 people so far and NOBODY seems to know anything about this. Everytime I talk to someone they tell me to talk to someone else and its like chasing a rainbow. So PLEASE if anyone else has any suggestions HELP ME!

like tobagoman said sea and sea has about the best set up i have found so far for sony cameras. there is one other site for about half the price . i think it is reef masters has a new set up for digital cameras with one of their strobes. i have a sony p-10

I use the Ike light housing and strobe for my Sony DSC V1. Both have served me well. The didgital substrobe is pricy but if my housing ever floods I can still use it for the next generation of camera and housing. Ike Light is working on sync chips built into their housings to allow better communication between strobe and camera. Check out B&Hphotovideo.com as the have a great underwater section and are official IKE light dealer with great prices.

The Sony P1 (rather than the T1) is what I presume you're diving with, given the Marine Pak housing. I think it first came out in 2000 or so, and for a while this was just about the best 3.3 MP compact camera around. I still have one, with a Marine Pak to boot, though I dive with a Canon S70 now. I don't think they're that common, as it was one of the earliest digital camera housings. Where'd you get yours?

You will need to use a fiberoptic cable link, or something like the Ikelite DS series with a sensor that detects the camera's flash and triggers the strobe. Inon doesn't make an adaptor for the MPK, or I'd recommend the D2000. Check out the Ikelite DS-50 with wireless strobe sensor, or even the manual controller. You may have luck with the SeaLife digital strobe and tray, which uses a fiberoptic link to trigger the strobe, and doesn't require the base plate and lens adaptor that the Inon uses. I only have personal experience with the D2000.

I've been very happy with my P1. The Marine pak was solid, and has never given me problems (I still use it for watersports, mainly kayaking). Good luck.

The Ikelight DS-125 can be ordered with sync if your camera and housing have hot shoe capability, slave sensor that senses cameras flash to fire the sub strobe, or manual controler that can work either way and increases the number power settings to 10. My next investment is the manual controller as it is much easier to change the strobe settings then to adjust shutter speed with jog dial on my camera and I can't read the tiny numbers on the screen.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom