Strobe for Cannon S80 and WP-DC1

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Andoman

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello All -
I am new to the ScubaBoard Forum which I discovered while researching what strobe I should purchase for my Cannon S-80 and WP-DC1 housing. I'm sure this question has been asked before, but running into dead-end searches in most places. Specifically, what is the best type of strobe to purchase for this set-up without spending over $500? Are there kits which include everything I'll need (strobe, arm, ect.)?

Any help pointing me in the right direction would be greatly apprerciated.:confused:

Thanks in advance.

I wouldn't bother to buy a strobe for that setup that was under $500 (unless you could get one used). The SeaLife 960d is less than $500 and will work with your setup (I know, I have one) but it isn't very good and is frustrating to work with.

OTOH, I also have an Inon D2000 which is spectacular.

When I bought the SeaLife, an instructor friend told me NOT to buy it -- that I wouldn't like it very much and that I would upgrade soon.

He was right.

Save your money and buy a much better strobe that will be useful later.

Thanks so much for your responses.

So, if I spent the money, would a INON Z-240 be too much for a novice? Is the Z-240 Strobe Kit from ReefPhoto a good deal?
- $1,089.00 and includes:
Inon Z-240 Ultra Mulitmode Strobe
UltraLight Control Systems' Digital Tray with Handle and Base Ball
2 UltraLight Control Systems' arms (3", 5")
3 clamps
Inon Strobe Adapter
Inon Optical D Cable/Cap set for your camera (WP-DC1)

Any thoughts?

"Any thoughts?" Well, as I wrote, I bought the D2000 instead of the Z-240 on the theory that the Z-240 was more than I'd want/need. The difference between the two strobes (as I recall the 240 has a slightly higher Guide # and has the option of electronic triggering) wasn't sufficient to justify the higher price.

YMMV

Thanks Peter - I just compared the two and you're correct about the differences. I really don't have any plans now to trigger electronically. I'll follow your advice.

Would a macro lens be the next best option to purchase?

Would a macro lens be the next best option to purchase?
It was for me!

(Note -- I lost both my D2000 strobe and my macro lens on a dive in November. My dear wife bought me another D2000 for Christmas and I just need to pull the trigger and order another macro lens from Ryan.)

My Dear Wife told me to go ahead and purchase the strobe and the macro!! Ordered them today!! :D Thanks again for all your help.

My Dear Wife told me to go ahead and purchase the strobe and the macro!! Ordered them today!! :D Thanks again for all your help.

Well done! Good luck with getting them dialed in, if you can, spend some time on land practicsing strobe aiming. Especially if the first time you are going to use them is an expensive holiday destination.

I didn't bother with that.. and it is now on about my fourth dive after putting my new macro (2 inon UCL 165s) together with my stobe (ikelite DS51) that I am beginning to get the lighting right. There has been an awful lot of surge down here recently which has not helped, but even if your first attemtps are not all you had hoped keep plugging away - it gets better!

Alison

Thanks Alison.

I've seen several others using two 'stacked' macro lens'. Is the goal to get twice the magnification? Is there a special mount that's necessary?

K

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom