Strobe for Canon G9 with Canon Housing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Crystaltear

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Merry Christmas Everyone :)

I've been using the G9 for 2 months now. The camera is great and the photos are way better than those taken with my previous camera.

Now I'm thinking to add a strobe to it. I use the Canon's manufactured housing. I took a look at the strobe market, but am having a difficulty to choose one as I'm really new to the underwater photography or even photography in general, and lack of knowledge on strobe.

Any suggestions? How's the Sea & Sea YS-110? It sounds good, but would it work with my camera and housing?

Thanks,
Guanjin :D

I am a S&S YS110 fan and use one with a G7 and D80(2 110s). However, you will end up shooting in manual as the TTL wont work. Again, however, the manual shooting will allow you to just about everytime be using the highest fstop you have with a quick shutter speed. This will give you the best DOF and less blurring than you can get with a TTL shot. Manual adjustment is actually very easy and wont take you very long to get used to.

This might be a dump question, but like I said, I'm new in photography. What do fstop and DOF stand for? Also, is there a manual coming with YS110 or something on how to do the manual adjustment? What accessories do you suggest?

Thanks,
G.

This might be a dump question, but like I said, I'm new in photography. What do fstop and DOF stand for? Also, is there a manual coming with YS110 or something on how to do the manual adjustment? What accessories do you suggest?

Thanks,
G.

Fstop = aperture, or the diameter of the lens opening when the picture is taken (see: F-number - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia )

DOF = Depth of Field, or otherwise the portion of the photo that is in focus. If a shot has a "narrow DOF" only a small area is in focus, the rest is out of focus...this can be good to isolate subjects, but bad if you want to see the entire subject (see: Depth of field - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia )

These two items are very closely related. Aperture (f stop) controls DOF in combination with focal length of the lens (35mm, 50mm, 60mm, 100mm, etc). The longer the focal length and smaller the aperture the narrower/shallower DOF.

I'd suggest spending some time on the "Camera Basics" portion of these tutorial type articles: Megapixel.net - The digital camera review web magazine

This might be a dump question, but like I said, I'm new in photography. What do fstop and DOF stand for?

Thanks for asking. It's been so long since I was more familiar with fstops I forgot what the relationship was to camera aperture opening. I needed the refresher after I googled fstop.:D

important relationship to know for getting best DOF :D !

today i bought the sealife sl961 setup to use with my a720 is with canon housing... it is not terribly expensive and i hope it performs well... i will find out in a couple of weeks.

I'd suggest talking with Ryan at Reef Photo and then getting his Inon D2000 setup. The optical sTTL with the Canon and Inon works very well.

I've used the D2000 with my S80/Canon housing and have been very satisfied. I do use the sTTL function and find it works quite well. Of course this will also work if (when?) I upgrade to a dSLR.

I've got some great lighting packages that will work with your G9/Housing with a choice of 3 strobes, focus lights and other options. A big advantage over the Inon D2000 is that if you ever want to switch to a DSLR the YS110 has hardsync capability. It also has larger knobs that are easier to use if you dive with gloves.

The S&S YS110 will give you D-TTL as well as 13 steps of manual control, target light, etc. The 27DX is a little cheaper, slower and only has manual 8 steps. But a good first strobe.

See: Optical Ocean Lighting Packages

Jack

Fstop = aperture, or the diameter of the lens opening when the picture is taken (see: F-number - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia )

I'd suggest spending some time on the "Camera Basics" portion of these tutorial type articles: Megapixel.net - The digital camera review web magazine

Thanks for your comprehensive reply. I'll definitely take some time to read about it :)

Thanks for asking. It's been so long since I was more familiar with fstops I forgot what the relationship was to camera aperture opening. I needed the refresher after I googled fstop.:D

Thanks for the company, good to know that I'm not alone here :wink:

I'd suggest talking with Ryan at Reef Photo and then getting his Inon D2000 setup. The optical sTTL with the Canon and Inon works very well.

I've used the D2000 with my S80/Canon housing and have been very satisfied. I do use the sTTL function and find it works quite well. Of course this will also work if (when?) I upgrade to a dSLR.

:confused: The name and location, are you Peter? I mean, are you the Peter I met? :11: :luxhello: Hi hi Peter, didn't know you're on the board too. How are ya :D

I've got some great lighting packages that will work with your G9/Housing with a choice of 3 strobes, focus lights and other options. A big advantage over the Inon D2000 is that if you ever want to switch to a DSLR the YS110 has hardsync capability. It also has larger knobs that are easier to use if you dive with gloves.
See: Optical Ocean Lighting Packages

Jack

Thanks Jack, the package seems to be a really good deal. From the advices I've gathered so far, I decided to go with Inon. I was really hoping to get it before leaving for my trip so I could try it out here. However, you post is a little bit late for me now. My flight is only 2 sleeps away, well if I do sleep tonight, still up this late packing. I guess I'll have to get one somewhere alone the trip, but I'll for sure visit your shop when I'm back.

Thanks everyone, and happy New Year to you all :)
Guanjin

Have a great trip Guanjin. Lynne gave me the D2000 to replace the one I lost in Maui.

BTW, we might be coming up to Nanaimo in early Feb -- maybe be able to stop by?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom