Strobe for Canon S30 housing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TigerShark

Reaction score
Hello folks,

anyone knows if i can attach additional strobe to the original canon S30 housing?

Is it complicated?

Well,i am thinking of getting the housing,but was wondering if the in-built flash would be enough to get the true colors of the beautiful marine life underwater.........

Thanks a zillion folks!!!

If I remember correctly, the S30 housing is _very_ similar to the A40 housing. You might want to take a look at the Sea & Sea Products. They have a couple strobes that work with the A40 housing [something something 25 and something something 90 if I remember correctly].

They have a cover that goes over the internal flash, which senses the flash and triggers the strobe.

I've found that the internal flash on my A40 is good within about 3 feet, but beyond that ambient light is the way to go [my camera gets much better light exposure when running with the flash off].

Tigershark,

IF I'm not mistaken, I think that Inon has a strobe that is made to cater to the S30. You can check it at their website. Unfortunately, its in Japanese. I can't remember the model number but it was launched last year only.

The other option is the Sea and Sea YS 25 or YS 90 which both have the optical cable function as the S30 housing does not allow you to connect the camera to the strobe directly.

Because of that, you might actually want to look at other housings available like from Ikelite which may have a better housing built-up that allows the connection of the strobes.

Honestly, if you have not bought the camera yet, I personally think that you may want to look at Olympus cameras purely on the reason that the housings and accessories i.e. strobes and filters are more readily available on the market.

To date, I have yet to be able to find the underwater correction filter/macro/wide angle lens that would fit the S30 underwater housing save and exept the ones offered by Sea and Sea which is very expensive.

Just sharing my experience as an owner of the S30 set up.

Happy shopping

Back
Top Bottom