strobe for oly 5050 question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sdwho

Contributor
Reaction score
I have an oly 5050/pt-015 that I've been using for several years without an external strobe. I want to add one and from what I can tell, the S&S YS90dx and the InonD180 or Z240 are common picks for this camera. I noticed at my dive shop someone advertising a YS90dx for what seems to be a reasonable price

Three questions:
1. Are there any other strobe options I should be considering?
2. Will I be able to use the YS90 if I eventually upgrade to a newer camera/housing?
3. The strobe is advertised without a tray or arms. What is the best way to go about finding a tray and arms compatible with the 5050 and the YS90.

Thanks in advance.

With a stock PT-015 you will be using a strobe that fires off the 5050's slave mode of the internal flash. That requires a slave sensor system; either a fiber optic system or reflective system is the norm. I use the old Ikelite Slave Sensor (no longer in production - eBay). Many Ike strobes are available to this system. The in production Ike slave sensor is designed for the new DS series of strobes but probably accommodates even more Ike strobes for your consideration. I have also used Epoque dual strobes with fiber optic sensors. They were underpowered as far as I was concerned, even with two of them.

I would look for a strobe system that could be used with the 5050 and your next two cameras. We are nearing the end of the 5050 era; buying something just for this camera is short sighted to say the least, unless it's dirt cheap.

INON strobes mine is 180 but any of the newer ones work great

Back
Top Bottom