Strobe questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The lower end strobes are fine for PnS camera applications. However not so much for a DSLR as they rely on an optical sensor connection, and a flash to trigger the external flash. For your needs I think that the strobe you are looking at is fine, but maybe a bit lacking power, and control. There are other options out there in a similar price range that may provide more control.

If you want a strobe that will go the distance, and will not need an immediate upgrade with a DSLR, than IMO get an Inon. They have a LOT of options for exposure control, and can be fired either with a sync cord and hot shoe (ala DSLR) or by using an optical sensor for those using PnS models. The only downside... cost. Plan on spending around $500 or more just for the strobe, and then you still need the arms, and maybe the optical cables.

IMO an external flash IS the way to go. There is not a professional UW photographer in the world relying on an internal flash, and there is a reason for that! :D

FWIW the new SeaTool housings for DSLRs use a fibre optic connection and utilize the pop up flash on your dslr to trigger the external strobe. This means those with the Inon D180 and D2000 etc can still use those strobes with these very cool housings.

While this is a very interesting discussion and one I can learn a lot from, I have the same original question that was posted. I have the Canon Powershot A640 with the same housing and am thinking about getting a strobe. I would like to get a good strobe now so that if/when I upgrade to a DSLR, I can simply transfer my strobe. Are all "good" strobes capable of the crossover or are some strobes more camera specific. Did anyone get annoyed by how many times I said strobe?

Thanks,
Walker

Strobe

With the recent advances in the point and shoot camera, the question maybe more of IF you even want go to the expensive DSLR road?

I cannot see spending $700 on a strobe that would be almost twice the price of the camera and Canon housing on a whim that you may or may not go with the $4000 or more DSLR package.

IMO one can get better photo composition because of the “live view” LCD screen of a point and shoot than a NON- live view DSLR LCDs (exp. Some of the Olympus)

The second point is that a low cost slave strobe can also be used as the second strobe, in what ever setup you have in the future. A new hardwired strobe can be used for the main lighting and the slave can knock down the shadows.

Two seperate, spaced apart, low cost strobes have a much better light coverage and shadow knock down capability that a large single over priced strobe at half the price! Plus the fact that in almost all cases the over priced strobe would have to be cutback to half power or less in order prevent over exposure.

You will need at least two strobes anyway. Then again, try the internal flash with the Canon diffuser for now and see if you even like to take pictures U/W.

FWIW the new SeaTool housings for DSLRs use a fibre optic connection and utilize the pop up flash on your dslr to trigger the external strobe. This means those with the Inon D180 and D2000 etc can still use those strobes with these very cool housings.

I just saw those SeaTool housings on Ryans site. Man, do those look streamlined, and cool. Unfortunately he does not have the ports listed for Nikon. Those housing are VERY tempting. Next time I'm in Ft. Lauderdale I'm going to make a point of stopping by Reef, and taking a hard look at them. Maybe I can get Ryan to loan, or rent me the housing for a dive or two. OTOH, that could be a costly mistake! :blinking:

IMO one can get better photo composition because of the “live view” LCD screen of a point and shoot than a NON- live view DSLR LCDs (exp. Some of the Olympus)

Many like the live view on the Oly cameras, however I don't think you can say that one can achieve better composition due to that factor. Here's one of the main issues with Live View on the Olys DSLR's:

Dpreview:
The E-410 provides for Auto Focus in Live View, it does so by closing the shutter and dropping the mirror so that the AF sensor can be used. During AF the Live View is darkened and frozen and returns when the camera has achieved a focus lock or has given up trying, this can take between 0.7 seconds (good light easy subject) and 4.0 seconds (to give up when it can't lock).

Up to four seconds to focus? And while that happens you loose the LCD? Hardly sounds like a very workable shooting mode. I have no issues with shooting through the viewfinder of the D200, and I would not use a live view LCD at the cost of shutter or focus lag.

Two seperate, spaced apart, low cost strobes have a much better light coverage and shadow knock down capability that a large single over priced strobe at half the price! Plus the fact that in almost all cases the over priced strobe would have to be cutback to half power or less in order prevent over exposure.

You will need at least two strobes anyway. Then again, try the internal flash with the Canon diffuser for now and see if you even like to take pictures U/W.

The Inon's are hardly large, in fact just the opposite. I don't use them, but I know many photographers that do, and their results are great. I am impressed with the size, power, and functionality of the Inon line. I don't consider $550 for a high quality strobe overpriced.

As for using two strobes, many do, but many don't. One does not NEED at LEAST two strobes. I can get nice results with one strobe, and it's less to hassle with.

Maybe I wasn't clear. I take my camera down pretty much every time I dive and have been playing with the advice from alcina and kayak diver, which has definitely improved my shots. The thing is, I want to get really good shots. I know that a lot of the "skill" is in the photographer, so I'm not expecting publishable (is that a word?) quality shots, YET. I do, however, want to step up my game. Whether or not I end up getting a DLSR down the road is still in the air, but I don't want to spend $500 in a strobe to find that it's inadequate down the road. I'd rather spend more money now and save in the long run.

That being said, I like what you said about buying 2 less expensive strobes now, and then maybe using one as a backup later down the line. Any other comments about a set-up like this. Canon Powershot A640, WP-DC8, 2 inexpensive strobes vs. 1 nice (was thinking Inon).

Any suggestions gladly welcomed. For what it's worth, I live on Oahu so have pretty good conditions year round. Thanks in advance.

Walker

I just saw those SeaTool housings on Ryans site. Man, do those look streamlined, and cool. Unfortunately he does not have the ports listed for Nikon. Those housing are VERY tempting. Next time I'm in Ft. Lauderdale I'm going to make a point of stopping by Reef, and taking a hard look at them. Maybe I can get Ryan to loan, or rent me the housing for a dive or two. OTOH, that could be a costly mistake! :blinking:

Let me tell you, the SeaTool housings are streamlined and VERY cool. One is now living at my house :)

I'd expect the Nikon ports to be the similar ports to the Canon 400D to begin with - they started with the 60mm, 100mm (which would be the Nikon 105mm probably) and 1-2 dome ports. Likely similar pricing as well. The D200 housing is not quite out yet, but should be by the end of October or so I'm told by Reef.

If you get one in your hands, topside or in the water, you'll be drooling over it.

Maybe I wasn't clear. I take my camera down pretty much every time I dive and have been playing with the advice from alcina and kayak diver, which has definitely improved my shots. The thing is, I want to get really good shots. I know that a lot of the "skill" is in the photographer, so I'm not expecting publishable (is that a word?) quality shots, YET. I do, however, want to step up my game. Whether or not I end up getting a DLSR down the road is still in the air, but I don't want to spend $500 in a strobe to find that it's inadequate down the road. I'd rather spend more money now and save in the long run.

That being said, I like what you said about buying 2 less expensive strobes now, and then maybe using one as a backup later down the line. Any other comments about a set-up like this. Canon Powershot A640, WP-DC8, 2 inexpensive strobes vs. 1 nice (was thinking Inon).

Any suggestions gladly welcomed. For what it's worth, I live on Oahu so have pretty good conditions year round. Thanks in advance.

Walker

You might look at the Inon Z240, which has both a synch cord and the optical option - it allows you flexibility for the future. It's their most expensive strobe, but it would allow you some options.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom