Strobes for the OM-1 with the AOI housing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

i'll be using wet lenses and flipping between macro and wide. I just need something not too big and heavy but good enough for wide. I can use my MiniFlash for dedicated macro dives. If I cannot have RC TTL maybe I could live with regular TTL on the OM-1?

How wide are you going?

do you want RC TTL, normal TTL or OK with manual? What is your budget?

You said you want good macro, you plan on using a snoot? Do you see using flip lenses and doing wide/macro same dive or more dedicated wide dive or macro dive?
Actually, if I don't find a good RC TTL strobe I'm open to go manual.

Actually, if I don't find a good RC TTL strobe I'm open to go manual.
if you want decent manual strobes with good power, the Seafrog SF-01 is actually quite good and can be found at good prices new ($300 range) if you look around if prices are important. Won't impress fellow divers on the boat but more than good enough to get great and impressive images. A set of 2 you can get for less than the price of 1x D3 Duo.. Make sure you get the correct 18650 batteries for them for recycle speed.

Use, so many options. But keeping it light and easy to travel D1's-D2's give you power, size wise they really pack almost as easy as UFL-3's or YS-01's which have less (but the UFL 3 you get RC TTL and can find in the $350-400 range per)

Personally today I would look at the SUPE strobes. I think that the history of S&S is not very good over the last few years, but more importantly using 4AA batteries is pretty old fashioned; Li batteries are the future. The Supe is about $100 cheaper, higher power and most importantly it has a circular flash tube, giving much nicer (to me at least) light.

Bill

Personally today I would look at the SUPE strobes. I think that the history of S&S is not very good over the last few years, but more importantly using 4AA batteries is pretty old fashioned; Li batteries are the future. The Supe is about $100 cheaper, higher power and most importantly it has a circular flash tube, giving much nicer (to me at least) light.

Bill
sure but he said "not too big and heavy" and the SUPE is on the bigger and heavier side. Otherwise a fantastic value and big bang performance in a manual strobe. Agree regards batteries, some feel strongly want to stick with AA for ease of finding when travelling however.

They are indeed monsters. I am waiting to see the new Marelux little ones.
BVA

Check out this gents images using two AOI UCS Q1 RC , in his pictures you will see some really good results.

It may be better for dual use wide angle than most assume..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom