Strongly considering solo diving - lets talk

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mo2vation:
Sometimes being the more experienced diver means shaking your buddy and thumbing the dive. Honestly - I regret being away from my family on T-giving Friday for 11 hours for two babysitting dives, but it is what it is. Monterey was gorgeous, conditions unseasonably perfect, viz well over 50'... it was magic. But in retrospect, I would have rather been with my family for those 11 hours than getting a 21 minute dive and a 30 minute dive.

Peace.

Your being there helped a new diver get through a tough dive, had he not been with someone as experienced as you things may have turned out differently for this guy. I am sure he is quite thankful that you were there and did not seek another buddy.

Scott

Scott M:
But...With the obvious experience level you have why would you want to dive with a bunch of yahoo noobs?

Again, I have never made any claims about your person experience level or mine. Both are irrelevelent to the conversation.

Scott M:
With your experience wouldn't you be able to chose a dive more appropriete to your level of skill and training? These dives would certainly not be open to the noobs.

Oh, but they are. Two examples that come to mind this year were Ni'ihau and PR. Now Ni'ihau is a rough two hour channel crossing from Kauai. It was three dives ~115ft/~60ft/~80ft. First dive is a real wall and is bottomless for all intents and purposes. Second dive we wen't far enough into an overhead environment I would have considered it a cavern dive.

I watched a guy on the boat hoover his air because he was so overweighted it was ridiciculous. Rather than listen to the DM's, he took small amounts off for each dive...and was still overweighted on the last dive after removing a total of 12.

Anyone could see that this fit guy who weighed probably about 120lbs did not need all that weight. IMHO he had no business out there

Second was PR. I was on the south side, diving out of La Parguerra. Belive me, you don't wind up here accidently. It's a little fishing village in the middle of nowhere. If you are there it's because you were looking for a good place to dive, not a good vacation with diving. All dives were easy but there was a hoover on that boat as well. With Angel, it was never a problem.

Scott M:
Going to places like PDC and Coz you know there are going to be noobs, why are you booking into something like that?

I love Coz. I love the town, the people, the beaches on the east side and I love the diving. I avoid cattle boats and have never really had any problem there.

It seems we have modified the suggestion here: If you are an experienced diver, you should babysit new divers. If you are unwilling to do so you should not be allowed to dive in popular locations.

Scott M:
How fun do you think it is for the noob (who paid the same amount you did) to have to put up with you?

Never gotten off a boat with anyone who was unhappy (at least anyone who left the boat with the same stomach contents the boarded with.) Situations can be handled without being rude.

James

"Unfortunatly the realtiy of the situation is that that is not really financially viable."

I tend to agree with this. But the more experienced diver could easily chose more appropriate dives that OW certs could not do. Or as I said earlier, refuse the buddy.

"This is called a class, which is, I belive, everyone's point. You need to be properly trained for the diving you are doing.
James"

True, but once the classes have been taken, the skills practiced where does a person go to get Ocean experience?

No hard feelings on my end James, I can seperate a disagreement on an issue with out holding a grudge.

Scott

I think the underlying idea throughout this thread is that we all need to take responsibility for ourselves. Not just our words or actions, but also the situations we allow ourselves to get into.

Let others ruin your dive or don't, help others or don't, dive solo or don't, but please don't make a decision then complain about what you got yourself into. You have options, and the choice is YOURS ALONE. Personally, I'd rather deal with my skills myself than have the added stress of an angry, frustrated diver trying to sort me out underwater.

I am a relatively new diver, and have done my best to behave responsibly above and below the surface. I appreciate help from the willing and respect the feelings of the rest. I do my best not to be a burden on more experienced divers OR less experienced divers. I have hired a DM instead of going solo, which eventually I will do, but only once I am ready to accept complete responsibility for the decision and potential consequences. I have some gear to acquire, configure, and get comfortable with before I get there.

What is the best way to minimize the risks that are inherent with solo diving?

Ken, I think you're doing it now. Think it through, weigh your options, collect educated opinions, discuss, etc.... Feel comfortable with your choices - then, know how and why you're doing what you're doing, and go for it.

I remember reading the question before as to why someone would go on a dive trip without a buddy. I am single. My friends are not wealthy. If I want to dive warm salt water, I am likely by myself. I was on a recent dive trip and we had a couple of divers with "less than desirable recent experience." It all worked out and everybody had a great time. Now, if you have a diver in that position and I paid a thousand dollars or more (in most cases more for these destinations) to do this trip, I am not paying for 30 minute dives. Let the DiveMaster take the individual down. That is what they are being paid for.

I got the "dive buddy from (you-know-where) early in my diving career. The guy swam in my baffles, made me navigate and tow the flag, and then (while behind me) aborted the dive without informing me. My solution: I did more diving to get a professional's cert and thereby learn how to handle this kind of situation, LOL. Solo diving tempts me as well. My issues:

1) I had a dive buddy bail on me this last weekend when I had the dive planned. That meant aborting the trip as the quarry is three hours from here and I couldn't bet on even a "pick-up buddy" being there. I had my heart set on going as I haven't been in the water for a couple of weeks. The quarry is about the only place open for diving up here as I can barely round up the number of buddies needed for non-overhead buddies, much less the number needed for ice (a bunch). On the plus side, at least he bailed before I started the trip down rather than after.

2) This happens to my normal "recreational" dive buddy, not me. One of his best friends is always eager to go diving. They find a spot that might be a few hours away. Then his friend will thumb the last two dives planned and leave my buddy with a long trip one way just to do one shore dive. I have some local dive buddies that I trust not to do this consistently. I mean, it is nice to have a dive buddy who isn't afraid to thumb a dive, but this guy does it constantly. After a while, that gets old as well.

3) I am an avid underwater photographer. Sometimes it would be nice just thinking about getting my picture rather than constantly scanning around for a buddy. I did have some experience with this in Provo. I got many good photos that way and didn't run into any problems. The divemaster joked later that when he saw 5 divers from more challenging conditions and four with cameras, that he knew that the same ocean, same day buddy system was being applied.

I haven't completely hit the water solo yet. I don't know if I ever will. But these are just some thoughts.

Oh, by the way, I LOVE to help out newer divers or divers who are having a bad day. I will seek out the new diver on my local trip. I just don't wish to have my diving on trips to expensive destinations cut short. I paid good money for that bottom time in the Caribbean. I plan to get it. :) On a shorter trip, I love to show newer divers want shipwrecks in cold, fresh water look like.

Scott M:
True, but once the classes have been taken, the skills practiced where does a person go to get Ocean experience?

Well personally I don't see the addition of salt to be an area one needs to gain experience. But before you go on the tropical vacation you should be:

a) Comfortable in the water. This means having decent bouyancy skills and being at the point mentally where you are ready to accept challanges or new things.
b) Experience diving deep. Most ocean dives take place between 60 and 100 feet. If you are comfortable on a 60' dive in a local dark lake, you should be fine for these dives.
b) Experience diving from a boat (if at all possible).

Any diver who is well trained in their local 60 deg quarry with 2' vis on a good day, should be able to handle tropical diving. If you can't you are either badly trained or haven't been under in so long your skills are pretty much non-existant.

If you are comfortable in the water you will not be a hoover. It took me about 10 dives to get to the point that NDL was the controling factor instead of air on a typical 60' dive. Some people breath well immediatly, and some may take more.

Now, all that being said, I did my OW dives in Cozumel. I went with my wife who was also doing a referal and another couple who had just been certified. However, I sought out a shop with a lot of boats. We had the boat to ourselves for the certification dives and the 4 of us had our own DM for the rest of the trip.

There were no problems but I knew I could not expect experienced divers to deal with my air consumtion so when I got back home I made a point of makeing sure I qualified for all of the above suggestions before I traveled again.

Scott M:
No hard feelings on my end James, I can seperate a disagreement on an issue with out holding a grudge.

Good, cause I love a good arument. I basicly assume anyone willing to engage in internet discussions has a thick enough skin to handle disagreements. if not they disappear pretty quick anyway.

cornfed:
To play devils advocate...

James, why are you spending so much money something you can't ensure you're going achieve? Instead of harrassing Scott and telling he's ruining your trip why don't you bring a buddy so you don't get stuck with and insta-buddy that will ruin your trip?

Alternatively, to satisfy the newed divers' concerns, they could also bring their own buddy and let the solo folks do the solo thing...

James Goddard:
Well personally I don't see the addition of salt to be an area one needs to gain experience. But before you go on the tropical vacation you should be:

a) Comfortable in the water. This means having decent bouyancy skills and being at the point mentally where you are ready to accept challanges or new things.
b) Experience diving deep. Most ocean dives take place between 60 and 100 feet. If you are comfortable on a 60' dive in a local dark lake, you should be fine for these dives.
b) Experience diving from a boat (if at all possible).

Any diver who is well trained in their local 60 deg quarry with 2' vis on a good day, should be able to handle tropical diving. If you can't you are either badly trained or haven't been under in so long your skills are pretty much non-existant.

If you are comfortable in the water you will not be a hoover. It took me about 10 dives to get to the point that NDL was the controling factor instead of air on a typical 60' dive. Some people breath well immediatly, and some may take more.

Now, all that being said, I did my OW dives in Cozumel. I went with my wife who was also doing a referal and another couple who had just been certified. However, I sought out a shop with a lot of boats. We had the boat to ourselves for the certification dives and the 4 of us had our own DM for the rest of the trip.

There were no problems but I knew I could not expect experienced divers to deal with my air consumtion so when I got back home I made a point of makeing sure I qualified for all of the above suggestions before I traveled again.
To be honest I did not consider air consumption as being one one of the problems an experienced diver faced with a noob. All things being equal, in that respect I would have to change my original reply. I was more thinking on the lines of a noob being buddied with the experienced diver and the exp. diver not wanting to dive for the sole reason that this is a noob who maybe needs a little advise on weighting or something of that nature. Having to leave with 2500lbs left would be frustrating.

"Good, cause I love a good arument. I basicly assume anyone willing to engage in internet discussions has a thick enough skin to handle disagreements. if not they disappear pretty quick anyway."

I think you'll find I will be here for a while.

It's all good
Scott

scubasean:
Alternatively, to satisfy the newed divers' concerns, they could also bring their own buddy and let the solo folks do the solo thing...

Thats what I am doing......actually their bringing me.

Scott

Mo2vation:
What is the best way to minimize the risks that are inherent with solo diving? Is it a 30 ft pony clipped off like Fido on the left Dring? Should I leave the pony in the stable and get a baby doubles with an isolator? Is it staying at reasonable depths (like 60’ and up?), keeping the dive duration short (like 45 minutes or less?) Maybe solo only from boat dives? I’m looking to speak with people who have given this a lot of thought, and have taken rational steps to enter safely into solo diving.

The first step is to recognize that a Buddy is merely a tool in managing risk. What this means is that if you choose to do nothing else, the reprocussion is an increase in risk, which is your choice to accept or not.

From there, it merely boils down into specifics as to what provides the greatest risk reduction benefits. IMO the first and most important "precaution" is within yourself: the willingness and ability to minimize your reliance on others (sometimes called 'self-sufficiency').

On the specific questions you asked:

1. Redundant Air. Manifolded twins are obviously the best, but a major hassle for travel-by-air trips. A pony works better here, if you feel that its risk-reduction is worth carrying. I've carried an AL13 at times; ask me for the technical details on the DOT CFR for flying with a pony (or just do a web search to find the webpage I have on this subject).

1a. Pony mounting location. What works best will have to be determined experimentally, and also on your requirements. For example, mounting options change if you're working with rental AL80's at a tropical resort versus a tank that you own at home and can permanently bolt an adaptor to. FWIW, I first tried a sling mount on my pony, but found that it physically interfered with my UW camera's use, particularly when in non-horizontal shooting postions. As such, I tank-mount it, and because I want a rig that allows for use of rental tanks on the road, my pony mount was chosen with this in mind (I went with the PonEase by SeaLutions).

2. Depth. Always a risk. Generally speaking, I dive a little shallower when solo, but not really by all that much because IMO its important to be completely in control regardless of if I'm with a buddy or not. My depth is also influenced by other environmental factors - for example, I'm willing to go a bit deeper when there's a hard bottom than when off a wall. Overall, I'd personally consider 60fsw to be very conservative, but then again, I've been diving for a long time and have a couple hundred solo dives.

3. Duration. IMO, its more of a risk when its coupled with Nitrogen Ongassing. For easy, shallow tropical reef dives, the concession I make is to do a "flower petal" pattern which navigationally brings me back to the center (where the diveboat is) every 750-500psi or so. I will always know exactly where the exit is at 1000psi, and will generally burn the last 500psi in healthy proximity to said exit.

3a. Decompression. Generally, I prefer to do no-deco profiles, but if there's something worthwhile to extend into deco, I'd do that, with or witout a buddy. I try to be more conservative in how "deep" I'll go into deco because there might not be a redundant air supply around...essentially, I'll not do a profile that ends up with more deco than I'll be willing to risk DCS by skipping if there's an equipment malfunction. As I said at the beginning, it all comes down to risk recognition and what level of risk you're willing to accept.

4. Platform (boat dives). Generally, most of my solo dives are from boats, because most of my dives are boat dives. I'd examine the risk potential of a solo shore dive due to the environment it is in. I've not made shore dives in places like Monterey to personally know if its conditions are acceptable/not, but as we all know, there's good days with minimal risk and bad days with unacceptable risk. One plus I will give for boats is that you'll have someone topside who's aware that you're down, which is less likely to be the case for solo shore dives, so there is some surface support which helps reduce risk for some of the accident permutations.

5. Weighting. You didn't ask the question, but IMO, there is absolutely no substitute for having some weightbelt-configured ditchable weight. If you are solo, the surface is your only friend (regardless of DCS risk) and weighting systems such as Weighted Backplates and Weight Integrated BC pockets are not as easily/quickly ditched to gain postive buoyancy.

6. Surface Buoyancy. Similarly, you should critically examine how your system floats you at the surface in case you come up either weak, in need of surface aid, and/or lose conciousness. If you end up face-down or have to extert significantly keep rolled back (such as a BP/W), this adversely affects your ability/capability for self-rescue and odds of survival. Since it stems from equipment, it is not an unavoidable risk.

-hh

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom