Structural Engineer Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

-SE-

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi all,

I am a newly minted structural engineer and I am interested in pursuing a career as an engineer diver. (I have been a long time member of the board, just don't post alot.)

I have been in contact with a few firms and most say that I would need to get my ADCI card. I would like to get some unbiased options before I embark on this career path. I understand that this is a bit of an obscure field and finding information is a bit tough.

If anyone knows an engineer diver or has experience I would love to hear about it. In looking for dive schools and the one listed below caught my eye, any other recommendations?

Dive school: Minnesota Commercial Diver Training Center - Brainerd, MN

Thanks in advance,

Ben

Don't know how it is now but a while ago, only once in a blue moon you see an engineer go with the underwater bridge inspector to check things out. Usually a newly certified engineer that wouldn't believe the report from the inspector because s/he never seen than in a book at school. After the first crappy dive that didn't match the engineer's vacation-dive the rest of the reports are believed.

Now you went to a commercial diving school so this shouldn't be your case. However, keep in mind that as an engineer your skills are not better utilized under water, maybe once in a while your expertise will be useful when it comes to minimize the next rehab project since you can run analysis in most of the elements in question as opposed to the non-engineer inspector that for many reasons will just recommend the most complete rehab he can justify.

On the other hand as an structural engineer you'll want to work for an agency that has access to cool structures (to me bridges are the greatest) they are going to hire you as underwater inspector and pay you as such; or they are going to hire you as engineer and you won't have time to go looking over the inspector's shoulder.

My experience is limited to Florida, I do remember meeting teams from other states that would go around with an engineer. That way if anything wasn't described clearly enough the diver goes back down right away, then again this engineer ends up being an expert in maintenance/repairs but misses out in designing the next greatest bridge.

Know where you get into... also keep in mind that now ROV's share the job that used to be just ours, more and more only the crappy part is left to us. Before we endured inspections of crappy culverts knowing that the next structure would be the foundations of a movable bridge on incoming tide by a pristine inlet. I don't know what are the factors today to send an ROV instead of a diver, but I know an ROV can't touch slimy concrete and detect a crack. But an ROV can do magnificent in great viz with ample space to maneuver.

Remember, you can be engineer (with engineering $$) for work and diver for fun, only observers and tenders are jealous of commercial divers. I was very happy working underwater but now I'm having a blast operating the vehicles that go underwater. Some days I wish I could jump in, but I'm grateful to be safely (and warm) on board when the conditions are nasty.

nI have been in contact with a few firms and most say that I would need to get my ADCI card. Dive school: Minnesota Commercial Diver Training Center - Brainerd, MN

If you are into bridge inspection, this may be an good move, I know that a number of engineering companies only use Professional Engineers to conduct underwater inspections. In the past this hasn't been required by the National Bridge Inspection Standards.

As long as you only want to work in the U.S. (and for a limited number of international contractors) an ADCI card is all you need. Otherwise you would be well advised to meet the standards of the IMCA by enrolling in an approved school in the US, or a DCBC school in Canada. Many schools offer a ADCI/DCBC/IMCA program.

The U.S. Navy uses engineering companies that splash civil/structural engineers to do inspections and they have an underwater investigation team that is made up of civil engineers that have been through the U.S. Navy Dive School.

CalTrans has a small group of engineers that dive to inspect the bridges in California. I almost landed a job there, but teh pay is way low for the engineering industry. Plus most California state employees are being furlowed every other Friday.

I have a whole list of engineering firms that use dive trained engineers, I don't know how busy the industry is right now though because inspections by engineers are a luxuary and the economy just wont support it right now.

Hi Ben,

In general, there tend to be two groups of Engineer Divers:

1) Those whose firms focus primarily on Bridges
2) Those whose firms focus on all other underwater structures

I work for Ocean & Coastal Consultants, a firm that does the second. Here are two links to firms that specialize in type 2 work:

ocean-coastal.com/servicedetail.aspx?ServiceID=11 - (Project Profiles Available)

halcrow.com/Videos/Engineer-divers/ - (Video in this link)

Of course, my company has inspected a few bridges (we have a few individuals with NBIS certification). Bridge inspection contracts are tough because the State DOTs tends to group a large amount of bridges together for bid/work and profits are slim. Most of the bridges we work on are privately owned and involve a design level investigation to facilitate some type of repair. Send me a private email with you contact info. If you have a resume, send it as well.

Also, not all Engineer Divers are ADCI certified. When an Engineer Diver is not ADCI certified, they are usually trained to the minimum OSHA standard. I work for a company that has gone this route. We tend to hire engineer and send them to a dive school that meets the OSHA requirement. Of course, there is a large debate about this in the industry.

Take care,
Ronnie

Links are truncated because SB will not allow new users to post hyper links.

Once you have your PADI Advanced and Rescue, look around for a commercial school that meets the new upcoming ASCE standard for training of engineer-divers. It's not approved yet, but I believe it will be and is the best pipeline to address the necessary level of training for engineer/inspection diving in inland/coastal areas. Most engineering companies that do this stuff will pick you up with the PADI certs and start training you in-house and sending you to these schools though. But if you're trying to build yourself up prior to getting hired, check out some of the short courses out there - I believe there's one in Key West, Santa Barbara and FSU puts on on in the Mexico Beach area of FL as well. Do some googling on these schools and the ASCE standard. Good luck!

Where did you get your information about an ASCE standard for training divers?

Hey Ben,

I have been in that field for 10 years. The school you mentioned is the one I went to and several of my co-workers. Its shorter than most commercial schools as they cut out most of the "off shore" stuff that inland commercial divers dont need. They have a few weak points but overall, its really perfect if you want to persue a diving career and work inland. You'll get the same ADC card and you'll need it. Recreational divers doing commercial work is a thing of the past. Hope this helps..

hi all,

I'm sort of in the same boat as the TS.

I've been an engineer for quite some time and recently completed my commercial dive training. I now have my DCBC unrestricted card!!!

well the hunt is on for new employment. Any ideas on where to start looking?? any leads would be greatly appreciated.

I'll be pm'ing a few of you folks for some more information.
Thanks in advance.

Back
Top Bottom