Stuck Volcano Orifice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

txgoose

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Starting my first, second stage reg rebuild (Conshelf Supreme). For removal, I have put a fair amount of pressure on the volcano orifice nut (for lack of a better term) and it does not want to break free. It was an auction site purchase so I have no history on the life of the o-ring behind the nut (in terms of possible corrosion behind it). According to the tech manual revised 02/10, the assembly torque is 55 in/lbs. A tad less than 5 ft/lbs. I am confident that I have put much more of my back into it than that. Before I take a bigger wrench to it, I thought I would ask for advice here.

Any advice, thoughts, comments on how to hold my tongue right?

As a complete rebuild, can I dunk the whole thing in the ultra sonic cleaner and see if it rattles anything loose?
Also as a complete rebuild: normal penetrating oil solutions, even if requiring substantially more cleanup afterwards, seem moot if the o-ring is intact. Can I open the lever and get a penetrating oil in from the "backside?"
Worst case, it is currently dead to me anyway. At some point after trying everything else, and probably multiple months worth of stewing on it and soaking it in who knows what, I can crank on it gently but forcefully and pray?

i used to encounter that a few times when i bought a few second stage off ebay.

what i did was try using a different approach to turn the volcano orifice, such as using mallet to tap the wrench or turning the wrench against table/floor so i can have better turning force.. sometimes if that didnt work i also dipped the whole second stage into cleaner to dissolve some of the salt deposits hopefully will be able to turn easier

I soaked it Tuesday evening to this evening and it broke free!!! But it was still not easy. I just did a soft version of a hammer drill. Just repeatedly put pressure, relaxed, put pressure, relaxed; repeat ad nauseum. I didn't count but assume it was 15-20 presses before I thought I felt it move. Then I just pressed and held and it and it snapped free. On to the Ultrasonic.

My new disappointment is that the back of the purge button has a metal screw in it to adjust the point the purge engages the lever. The screw has lightly eaten into the diaphragm. I don't believe that it is near compromised, but I also don't intend to put the screw in when I reassemble. I may look for a plastic button head screw or shoulder screw of the right size.

Second stage rebuild complete!!! I had to futz with the demand lever a bit to get it in the right place. But other than that it was fairly straightforward with the help of the VDH video.

First stage is working its way through the ultrasonic cleaner.

Back
Top Bottom