Student fatality - Lake Attersee, Austria

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
Google translation...

Student diver died in Lake Attersee​

UNDERACH. A diving student died in a diving accident in Unterach am Attersee on Sunday.​

According to initial information, the German made an emergency ascent after problems and died. The competent public prosecutor's office in Wels has ordered an autopsy to clarify the cause of death. According to media reports, the woman was diving with a diving instructor and two other students near the public bathing area "Kohlbauernaufsatz". This is a popular entry point for divers and, according to a spokesman for the Unterach water rescue service, a fairly harmless spot. Nevertheless, a problem had arisen at a depth of 15 meters. It is not clear whether the diver had previously completed a diving course. However, according to diving experts, diving to a depth of 15 meters is not intended for complete beginners.
According to the public prosecutor, what exactly caused the woman to die should be clarified in the next few days.

underach:
However, according to diving experts, diving to a depth of 15 meters is not intended for complete beginners.
Does that strike anyone else as odd? I've heard of the 60' and 130' limits (depending on agency). Never heard of a 45' limit. Doesn't sound like it was a "jr" course for a child... Is 15 meters some common limit in Austria?

Does that strike anyone else as odd? I've heard of the 60' and 130' limits (depending on agency). Never heard of a 45' limit. Doesn't sound like it was a "jr" course for a child... Is 15 meters some common limit in Austria?
Could be that is a limit for a DSD type dive?

Could be that is a limit for a DSD type dive?
that would be my guess, as they said 15 meters is beyond. So for DSD/Try Scuba/OW 1 & 2, the limit is 12 meters for a number of agencies.

I was diving the site two weeks ago. To my knowledge there is no specific legal limit. A German news site said the victim had 15 training dives. I have not seen any reference that she was an open water student. With 15 dives she could have been an AOW student. At the site there is a rope going to 14m leading to the top of a wall at 18m. They put an outhouse as an attraction at the bottom of the wall at 32m..
Below is the description of the site:
Diving Entry Kohlbauernaufsatz

Preliminary coroners report points to cardiac issues
Yep, but still preliminary: Tote Taucherin: Obduktionsergebnis liegt vor
Google translation...

UNTERACH/ATTERSEE. Heart problems are likely to have triggered the death of the 54-year-old.​

After the death of a 54-year-old German while diving in Lake Attersee, a preliminary autopsy result is now available. According to the public prosecutor's office in Wels, the woman may have died due to cardiological problems. The coroner's final report is not yet available.
As reported , the woman made an emergency ascent from a depth of 15 meters shortly after starting a dive at the Kohlbauernaufsatz in Unterach am Attersee. Her diving instructor brought the woman to shore, where she lost consciousness and died a little later. Attempts at resuscitation were unsuccessful.
It was not yet clear if the cause of death was medical or if there were diving complications.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom