Stung by fire coral

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Jacqueline-The welts can last up to a month, but they dont stay really bad that long. Mine lasted about 2 weeks. I got mine from the hydoids by hanging onto dead coral at Baracuda filming the Eagle rays. Otherwise I have received stings by getting too close shooting pics at something. I have used several 'rememdies' from the med thread here. But in answer to your question I did use some remedies that did alleviate the issue of ichiness not redness.
And a word about 'touching animals underwater, please dont do that, it does harm to them by doing these 'innocent' touches. Not to mention we can get hurt ourselves from it as you have observed. But I hope you had a good time on Coz, it's my fav. Also welcome to the board!

In addition to the advice above about seeking professional, knowledgeable help, I'd like to add;

DON'T PET THE CREATURES!

Nothing good (for the creature) can come from it and it can cause problems for the creature and you.

I hope your encounter resolves soon and you get back out there diving.

What they said.

That looks nasty, my heart goes out to your daughter, I hope that didnt stop her from diving. Can you tell us what the treatment was. My hands and feet did not blister like that. They became intensely red and the skin sort of bubbled but not like hers. Mine where hard and red, hers looks like they are filled with fluid.

Thanks Firstdive2005,
The doctor gave foban cream - seem an antibiotic cream as at that time the blister was broken and looked very bad.
She's tough girl; sure will not stop her from diving . Her passion of diving can be seen at her blog here <<Mayang>> - Home
Now, she can't wait for our next dive trip to Pulau Weh.

Cheers

....hanging onto dead coral.....

Also something I would suggest refraining fromhanging onto anything underwater unless it is a line in place for safety. Dead or not it all plays a part. It is also very possible that what we think is deal, is not. Bottom line is, "Look don't touch unless it is brief and accidental." Not all people follow this logic....some believe that it is OK to damage the environment because it will be a really cool photo......others make every effort to touch nothing unless unavoidable. I try to associate myself with the latter.

By the way....to the OP.....glad you got what you needed.

I have brushed my elbow against fire coral a few times over the years, when shooting pics, and encountered it in the surge during shore entries or exits. Nasty stuff, but I found for myself that quickly finding sand and gently rubbing the effected area with a handful of sand as I continue the dive has prevented any after effects at all. (Avoiding contact is the best and wisest choice. That first burn is a great reminder that I wasn't paying close enough attention to buoyancy for a moment.)

what is Kraken's method for treating fire coral stings? Thanks!

Knowing Kraken my guess is HE DOESNT TOUCH STUFF!! We are to look, not touch.

what is Kraken's method for treating fire coral stings? Thanks!

Fire Coral does not sting The Kraken.....after all it is almost as tough as Chuck Norris

kraken-clash-of-the-titans.jpg

The first solution for fire coral stings on the emedicineHealth website is "Rinse with seawater" :rofl3:

I had the pleasure of brushing up against some on my recent trip to Coz....drifting slightly while trying to take a close-up shot.

Hydrocortisone cream helped.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom