Stung by fire coral

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jmcook

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello,

My name is Jacqueline. It has been 9 days since a group of friends, my husband and I went scuba diving in Cozmel. Our dive master told us not to touch fire coral. I had no idea what it was as this was my first dive to the caribbean. I went to pet a sea turtle that was resting on the reef and must have brushed my leg and hand against some fire coral. I immediately felt stinging and told everyone I thought I touched some when the dive was over. No comments were made in regards to treatment. When our excursion was over, I boarded our ship and took a hot shower. Today, I am trying to educate myself about fire coral. I have read web sites that state you should not shower with fresh water after exposure because it makes the spines that are in your skin release more toxin. It has been 9 days with no treatment, most websites state to apply vinegar after the sting, well it's a little late for that. I have red raised welts/blisters in the areas where I was stung. Seems more irritating with heat. I don't know what to do?? I don't know if the spine things are still imbedded in my skin. If you have any remedies/treatment please help.

Thanks

Jacqueline,

Visit our "Diving Medicine" forum and do a "Search" on fire coral. You'll probably find the answer to your question there.

the K

I have been stung by fire coral so many times that I am almost immune to it!

Though 9 days seems a little long for the welts to stay the eventually heal on their own with no other lasting effects

First I have to say that I have never encountered fire coral, or been stung,but 9 days seems a bit long, If its still painful I would see a doctor one with experience of that kind of wound, dont just leave it go there are some very aggressive bacteria underwater.

Hi Jacqueline-The welts can last up to a month, but they dont stay really bad that long. Mine lasted about 2 weeks. I got mine from the hydoids by hanging onto dead coral at Baracuda filming the Eagle rays. Otherwise I have received stings by getting too close shooting pics at something. I have used several 'rememdies' from the med thread here. But in answer to your question I did use some remedies that did alleviate the issue of ichiness not redness.
And a word about 'touching animals underwater, please dont do that, it does harm to them by doing these 'innocent' touches. Not to mention we can get hurt ourselves from it as you have observed. But I hope you had a good time on Coz, it's my fav. Also welcome to the board!

In addition to the advice above about seeking professional, knowledgeable help, I'd like to add;

DON'T PET THE CREATURES!

Nothing good (for the creature) can come from it and it can cause problems for the creature and you.

I hope your encounter resolves soon and you get back out there diving.

Thanks, to all for your great advice. I really appreciate it. I found great info from "The Kraken's" direction to the diving medicine forum. Firstdive2005, it is comforting to know what you have experienced. Like most, my area that were stung acted the same way as a lot of other individuals, sting, some redness, looking like it's going away and then a flare up days later. I hope like most, mine subsides soon, and doesn't linger for months to a year or so. I always understood that you shouldn't touch coral because it damages it, so I tried to avoid it. With Grand Cayman having a sea turtle farm, I didn't think that it would be harmful to touch the turtle. I do respect marine life and have made my best attempt to look, take pictures and preserve it for all generations to enjoy.

Some people are more sensitive than the other. I was stung and had very minor red blister for less than a week only. But my daughter has very sensitive skin. This what happen with her hand after a week.

mayang_hand.jpg

We went to the doctor for proper treatment but still took more than a month to fully recover.

Some people are more sensitive than the other. I was stung and had very minor red blister for less than a week only. But my daughter has very sensitive skin. This what happen with her hand after a week.

mayang_hand.jpg

We went to the doctor for proper treatment but still took more than a month to fully recover.
That looks nasty, my heart goes out to your daughter, I hope that didnt stop her from diving. Can you tell us what the treatment was. My hands and feet did not blister like that. They became intensely red and the skin sort of bubbled but not like hers. Mine where hard and red, hers looks like they are filled with fluid.

Back
Top Bottom