Stupid bubbles in FACE!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BIG Tiggz

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Any ScubaBoard member know of a second stage reg that does not have bubbles blast in front of the mask when you breath out.

I have a purge valve on my mask and when I breath out my nose, the bubbles flow to the side of my mask. Oh yeah!! But come on... I do not want to alwasy be breathing out of my nose. :11:

Any thoughts? And I do not want a rebreather YET so thats not an option.

Thanks on any input into this matter.:coffee:

Any ScubaBoard member know of a second stage reg that does not have bubbles blast in front of the mask when you breath out.

I have a purge valve on my mask and when I breath out my nose, the bubbles flow to the side of my mask. Oh yeah!! But come on... I do not want to alwasy be breathing out of my nose. :11:

Any thoughts? And I do not want a rebreather YET so thats not an option.

Thanks on any input into this matter.:coffee:

Which ones have you tried??

I believe most high performance (easy breathing) second stages have this problem. I had an old US Divers reg that had long side vents but it was pretty stiff breathing. I prefer the bubble problem over stiff. If you're vertical in the water, you notice it more. If you're slightly tilted forward the bubbles pass behind your eyes and don't get in your way so much.

I've used the Sherwood Blizzard, Sherwood Brute and Kirby Morgan Superflow 450. I've never had a problem with the exhaust wiskers/deflector not working as it should.

Check that you have an exhaust deflector on the bottom of the second stage.

Just get a reg with a wider exhaust.

Only the new fashion of having small lightweight regs causes this issue. Any reg with a decent size exhaust wont have it.

Oh and lose the purge valve too. Please. In the name of sanity.

1 get rid of the mask.:D
2 get a double hose reg.:D

:rofl3::rofl3:and of joke.

Seriously,don't worry you will get used to it,and your breathing will get a LOT better with time and the bubbles will be of no issue any more.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and tell you something about your *diving*, not your regulator. I would wager an air fill that instead of diving in horizontal trim, you are diving basically upright. (Of course, I cannot *actually* follow through on that wager, as you have yet to fill in your profile. I wouldn't want to do something illegal in your jurisdiction. :biggrin:)

Although there are a few cases where diving out of the horizontal is required, other than those (which tend to involve working dives), being horizontal in the water is practically a panacea. Not only will your bubbles go nowhere near your mask lenses (unless your regulator is upside-down in your mouth and has rather long exhausts), but your air consumption will improve, your fatigue will reduce, your buoyancy skills will blossom, and people will throw flowers down in front of you and recite epic poems in your honor as you get back on the boat. (Okay, maybe not that last bit, but your diving *will* be much better.)

Plus, the great news is that you don't have to spend anything on your regulator. :biggrin:

(Of course, if I'm wrong, I *might* owe you an air fill... if you get your profile filled out. :D)

Just get a reg with a wider exhaust.

Only the new fashion of having small lightweight regs causes this issue. Any reg with a decent size exhaust wont have it.

Oh and lose the purge valve too. Please. In the name of sanity.

why lose purge? I love it

I'm going to go out on a limb here and tell you something about your *diving*, not your regulator. I would wager an air fill that instead of diving in horizontal trim, you are diving basically upright. (Of course, I cannot *actually* follow through on that wager, as you have yet to fill in your profile. I wouldn't want to do something illegal in your jurisdiction. :biggrin:)

Although there are a few cases where diving out of the horizontal is required, other than those (which tend to involve working dives), being horizontal in the water is practically a panacea. Not only will your bubbles go nowhere near your mask lenses (unless your regulator is upside-down in your mouth and has rather long exhausts), but your air consumption will improve, your fatigue will reduce, your buoyancy skills will blossom, and people will throw flowers down in front of you and recite epic poems in your honor as you get back on the boat. (Okay, maybe not that last bit, but your diving *will* be much better.)

Plus, the great news is that you don't have to spend anything on your regulator. :biggrin:

(Of course, if I'm wrong, I *might* owe you an air fill... if you get your profile filled out. :D)

Yeah I am talking about bubbles when I am vert in water. Tilting my head forward is a good idea. thanks

You could look at the Aqualung Kronos. It vents to the side of your face but is more aimed at photographers than solving purge valve problems.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom