Stupid diver of the year award.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

elmer fudd

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm going to have to nominate myself for this one.

I went ahead and did a dive wet this afternoon. In order to deal with the cold, I wore a little extra neoprene and I took along 3 sodium acetate heat packs to stuff in my suit. Now, normally the way these things work is when you activate them, it triggers a chemical reaction and they give off heat in the 105 degree range for about 1/2 hour. I've used these things several times before and never had a problem. I'd always heated them up and allowed them to cool the night before though. This time I just nuked them in the microwave. When I got to the dive site they were still around 110-120 degrees. Being the dips--t that I sometimes am though, I activated them and stuffed one in below each armpit and one in my crotch, (there was another great decision).

I noticed almost immediately, "hey, these things are hotter than usual!" Now, anyone with a lick of sense would have pulled them back out and just dove without them, but that wasn't me. Instead I thought, "Gee, I better get in the water quick. That cold water will make all the difference."

Suffice it to say, after getting in the water, I ended up swimming back in, stripping off my gear on the beach and pulling heat packs out of my wetsuit, (this was on a busy road and a few people stopped to observe my foolishness). It also looks like I've got three rectangular patches of sunburn in various parts of my body.

No, just three large red patches that are somewhat tender to the touch. No blistering or anything serious though.

I still can't believe I was dumb enough to try diving after noticing how hot they were.

definitely not the stupidest, but one of the most entertaining

Was entertaining you did learn something.. That is good.. glad you are ok ..

Heat decreases fertility :wink:

:rofl3: Too funny, adds a totally new meaning to "hot pants" . Remind me not to accept any invitations from you to a wennie roast.

Back
Top Bottom