stupid newbie/snorkling/knives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In the ocean the chances are slim you would ever need it, I only have used mine for cleaning line off the reef.
Now if we were talking fresh water I would deffinatly take 2 or a knife and shears.
I have been tied to the bottom more than once and 3 times while snorkling.

RoatanMan:
Yeah I saw that too it was a real bummer bad way to croak out being drownded and all because he could have just cut his way out and that would have been the end of that.

All our interns have Glocks.

very funny ... NOT!

actually, with a knife he could have cut his way out.

driver_X:
very funny ... NOT!

actually, with a knife he could have cut his way out.

Okay, okay.

Ever cut a pice of rope?

It would be nice and tight as you're being entangled and dragged by it.

Let's just make a wild prayer that it would be in such a manner that you could indeed get your hand or hands on it... say it wasn't wrapped around your waist or dragging you backwards wrapped around your legs.

Let's just say this rope was in view of you and your face mask's angle of view.

So there you are- entangled in a sailboat's rope, being dragged through the water, the rope is within your view and reach... as unlikely as that may be... so I ask you again...

Ever cut a pice of rope?

I had some 5/8" twisted braid to clear from a prop shaft. It took me 15 seconds to make one cut through it. I was on SCUBA and I was exhausted. I had a Spyderco serrated blade that was perfect for the job. It still was tough.

Go for the Glock, I'm tellin'ya.

Shoot the bottom of that silboat full of holes- they can be rigged to shoot underwater.

Anyway, shoot the bottom of the boat full of holes. :m16:

Voila, instant wreck dive. :eyebrow:

DeepBlueMe:
I have been tied to the bottom more than once and 3 times while snorkling.

Kinky. How much do they charge for that?

If your trying to look cool, a Bowie knife is the way to go. Don't strap it to your leg though, carry it between your teeth. Maybe add an eye patch.

Hey, good answer ... but you ever shoot a pistol underwater? Me neither.

The way I recall the show, the sailboat had tipped over and it was extremely calm water, must have been a lake. And the guy was caught in the rigging.

In any case, you make a good point about the difficulty this situation would present.

Maybe a machete would be the way to go, just keep wacking at the water in front of you and voila no lines to get entangled in. Then do as markr said and carry it between your teeth when getting out of the water. I am think a knife and shears.

markr:
If your trying to look cool, a Bowie knife is the way to go. Don't strap it to your leg though, carry it between your teeth. Maybe add an eye patch.

And Bowie is NOT pronounced like the name of that effeminate singer from the 70's. Another name for it is a BFK. Strap one to your leg and one to your upper arm in addition to the one in your teeth. The broadsword drawn over your shoulder is a nice touch as well. An eye patch...hmmmm...I like it! There's not a woman alive that would be able to resist your charm.

it's BOO-IE.

RoatanMan:
Go for the Glock, I'm tellin'ya.

Shoot the bottom of that silboat full of holes- they can be rigged to shoot underwater.

Anyway, shoot the bottom of the boat full of holes. :m16:

Voila, instant wreck dive. :eyebrow:

Ummmm, aren't you still tied to the thing as it's sinking? Does that make you the mooring buoy?
Ber :lilbunny:

well, thanks for the (very few) legit suggestions. you boys have fun frolickling together in your "wet suits".

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom