stupid newbie/snorkling/knives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

driver_X:
Okay, I'll be honest, I just think it will look cool.

Considering how shallow this thread is I'm suprised you got any legit suggestions.

Without tanks, pretty much only free-dive hunters and snorkel morons wear knives.

driver_X:
Thanks for the quick replies, especially about the shears and Z-knife. Seriously, I don't want to be paranoid just going snorkeling but I saw one of those disaster shows where a guy got wrapped up in some line, I think from a sailboat, and drowned. I appreciate the advice.

No paranoia there. I was skin-diving for a while before I woke up to that possibility. You never know when a length of mono filament will wrap onto you. Carry something.

Pete

A tiny tiny little bandage scissor will fit into your swimming trunk pocket. No one will see it, and you wouldn't have to strap it to anything. I have a bunch of little ones at my work place, they cost a buck. They just rust very little at the hinges, and measured about 2 inches long. You can probably buy little stainless steel pocket knives too, and they will fit into your swimming trunk pocket.

I second the Glock. Have you seen the threads on here about the feuding dive ops in Puerto Rico sinking each others boats and bad mouthing each other in spanish! The broadsword might not be a bad Idea either.

Ber Rabbit:
Ummmm, aren't you still tied to the thing as it's sinking? Does that make you the mooring buoy?
Ber :lilbunny:

Only after you bloat! Oh and depending on the length of the line you may only be a safety stop marker or if your digits (or other appendages) form rigor mortis in the right direction you could be a line arrow or a directional aid!:D

When it comes to looking cool in the water, I think it would be hard to beat swimming around with a giant claymore strapped to your back. I think you can even find modern reproductions in stainless steel. Oh, and stick a laser on your head!

However, to be a bit more pragmatic, I suggest you buy a small titanium dive knife that you could strap to your leg, or if you chose to pursue SCUBA diving, mount to a buoyancy compensator jacket. While large dive knives really are cool, they are often bulky and awkward in the water, and can interfere with your kicking or be so large as to become a snag hazard (wouldn't that be ironic). A smaller knife, e.g. 3" blade, will be unobtrusive, more comfortable to wear, and will be just as effective as a larger knife in line/rope cutting situations.

Another thing to consider is that many dive knives serve double duty in that they are used on the surface as well. In addition to cutting line, I've used my own dive knife to prepare lunch on numerous occasions, so thinking of a dive knife as a multi-role camping style knife would be smart. While a huge knife (or claymore) could certainly be used to slice bread or open a box of crackers, smaller knives would be a little easier to handle in those situations I think.

Regardless of knife type, I strongly suggest you buy a knife with a titanium blade, ideally beta alloy titanium. A beta alloy titanium blade is very strong, quite hard, retains an edge well, and will never rust. All knife grade stainless steel alloys will eventually rust if not given meticulous care. Personally, I think a knife like this might be a good choice: Wenoka "Squeeze" Lock

Cheers,

Sadamune

james croft:
Buy an old Seahawk off of Ebay. It will give you that salty look.
Aye matey.

You may look cool with the big knife strapped to you leg to some people... but divers tend to look at the big knife and roll their eyes. I have a small knife with a blundt tip attached to my bc (that's the vest-thingy we wear). Of course, you won't probably be using a bc if you're snorkeling. If you want to be prudent (which will make you look waaaay cooler to divers and you can explain it to the folks who would otherwise be impressed by the big knife, thereby making yourself look both cool AND knowledgeable...), buy a small diving knife or a pair of diving shears (the scizzors- did I spell that right?).

Or a glock.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom