Stupid question from a non-cave-diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Im feeling a house swap here... anyone interested?

PerroneFord:
Taking cavern early makes far more sense here in Flordia where we have MANY of them, and they really open the diving experience. I have come to appreciate preparing yourself as soon as possible to dive your local resources. For us that means caverns and caves. For others it means deep and drysuits. For some lucky folk it means AOW and fish ID on the local reefs! :)

TSandM, if you want to do caven, you can head to Florida. It's taught every weekend just about here in N. FL. , by somebody.

TSandM, I'll give you the name of someone you can schedule a weekday class with and avoid the crowds. Take cavern now if you can. It's not too soon. Cavern is the foundation course for the rest of the cave courses. You learn most of the didactic and basic skills there. Then practice those skills (even in OW) until you can come back and take Intro. You won't regret it... :wink:

I'm going to bookmark this thread, because there are a lot of resources here.

I am not ready to start this at all. I knew that before Fundies, and I know it better now. I think I have a very reasonable program mapped out in my head to improve my competence and gain some skills. I am lucky enough to have some superb resources for coaching from people with excellent backgrounds and an interest in teaching. I will polish my buoyancy and my emergency response skills, improve my situational awareness (a major deficiency according to my Fundies instructor!) and pick up some skills like the basics of running line and handling reels. In two years, I think I'll be in a place where a cavern class would be productive and enjoyable. And then I will be contacting some of you guys to find out when and where and with whom!

In the meantime, I've had the incredible luck to get in touch with a postdoctoral fellow in hydrology whose particular interest is caves, and particularly the caves of the Yucatan, who has provided me with some wonderful reading material about the caves themselves. If I'm not ready to dive them, I'm certainly ready and eager to learn everything else I can about them.

It's exciting to have an ambition.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom