Stupid Ship Captain Grounds Cruise Ship

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lets reserve judgment here. In the ocean, stuff happens and happens fast. Any number of things could have caused a nearly 500 foot ship to go out of control in such tight quarters. Stoping or turning something like that takes a lot of time, unless of course you hit rocks.
Hope the two missing turn up.

Even this is not proof they're in the wrong, but someone is...

Captain, five others charged in sinking of ship
Updated Sat. Apr. 7 2007 2:03 PM ET

CTV.ca News Staff

Just two days after a cruise ship struck a reef and sunk off an Aegean Sea island, Greek authorities have charged the captain of the vessel and five officers with negligence.

The six officers face charges of causing a shipwreck through negligence, breaching international shipping safety regulations and polluting the environment, according to Greek state television.

They were released pending further investigation.

The 140-metre Sea Diamond, which was carrying 1,600 passengers, sank off the Greek Island of Santorini on Thursday, in the eastern Aegean Sea just minutes before arriving in port.

Divers are still searching the wreckage for a Frenchman and his daughter who are still missing.

The remaining passengers and crew -- including 60 people from Canada, mostly high school students -- were rescued from the ship.

The captain, chief mate, second mate, third mate, chief cabin steward, and housekeeper of the Greek-flagged vessel were arrested after the accident, a Merchant Marine Ministry spokeswoman said earlier Saturday.

Louis Cruise Lines, the tour company that operated the ship, claims it was in good shape.

"The vessel maintained the highest level of safety standards and was equipped with the latest navigation systems," said Giorgos Stathopoulos, spokesman for the operator.

Earlier, NET, the Greek state television network, reported that most of the damage to the ship's hull was caused before the captain issued a distress call, when he was trying to escape the dangerous rocks

The captain and the five others were to appear before the prosecutor on the nearby island of Naxos, according to reports.

Officials were working to clean up fuel that leaked from the vessel.

The evacuation was the largest since September 2000, when 80 people died when the Express Samina ferry ran aground and sank.

Greece's tourism minister said the government is taking the incident seriously and those who are responsible will be held to account.

Canadians tourists

The Canadians on board, mainly high school students from Quebec and Alberta, all got safely off the listing ship before it went down.

The group from Alberta's Tofield School east of Edmonton, included 22 students ranging in age from 15-18, as well as two teachers and two adult chaperones. They are expected to continue with the last few days of their trip and will return home Tuesday.

The group from Montreal's Lester B. Pearson High School included approximately 38 students who were also accompanied by teachers and chaperones. They are expected to return to Canada on Easter Sunday.

On the sea "Stuff happens" and it does it in strange and unexpected ways.

OTOH The Captain IS RESPONSIBLE. <That is a period at the end of that scentence, the captain is responsible at all times for his vessel, crew and passengers.
It is the nature of the job.

Cruise ships are generally pretty safe but when something really bad happens it makes the news.

mike_s:
News reports I saw said the captain and some of the crew have been arrested or have charges filed against them
OH really...?! :11: Look up ^ 2 posts.

How many threads are going on this now? I see at least three.
If it was a mechanical problem that could not be overcome, the charges will be droped. The arrest is just a formality at this point. Shuts people that dont understand the process,up.

There is no way I am ever getting on one of those oversized tin cans, with all those people in such close quarters, all that horrible kareoke and flatulance.
Worse yet, imagine all scuba board members being together on one ship and 20% of them constantly reminding everyone else "we are doomed" and another 50% complaing how the ship isn't rigged correctly, though we would probably get a laugh or two in now and then. yes, imagine, sailing the good ship "scuba board"
You are imagining yes?

Shudder......

Mauifish:
There is no way I am ever getting on one of those oversized tin cans, with all those people in such close quarters, all that horrible kareoke and flatulance.
Worse yet, imagine all scuba board members being together on one ship and 20% of them constantly reminding everyone else "we are doomed" and another 50% complaing how the ship isn't rigged correctly, though we would probably get a laugh or two in now and then. yes, imagine, sailing the good ship "scuba board"
You are imagining yes?

I'm reminded of a quote from a disgruntled cruise boat passenger once told me in Cozumel:

"Ship, it's no ship, it's more like a floating federal correctional facility"

No way for me, either.

As far as not rushing to judgement on the ship's Cap & crew, that's fine & all, but ain't it a little obvious this trip didn't go well? I mean, SOMEBODY screwed up!

Wildcard:
How many threads are going on this now? I see at least three.
If it was a mechanical problem that could not be overcome, the charges will be droped. The arrest is just a formality at this point. Shuts people that dont understand the process,up.
Yeah I think three. I think this was the first one, in the correct forum anyway...

Back
Top Bottom