Subic Bay for Novice Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi folks, new member here...

Just got a couple of questions re: Subic Bay.

I'm a novice diver who's recently completed my PADI Open Water and have 5 open water dives in total.

I have some time to take a very short break near the end of June and was considering flying to Manila from Seoul and heading upto Subic Bay for some fun dives to get a bit more practice. I don't have much money to spend so wanted to know if people thought Subic Bay was worth travelling to from Manila and maybe only diving just on a single day, maybe 3 dives in total.

Are the sites there good for inexperienced divers? Are any of the wreck dives possible with my experience?

I would obviously like to dive more but I can't spare too much money, and there seems to be some cheap accomodation options nearby.

Also is the end of June a decent time to go. Most guides seem to say up until May is the best time to travel but if anyone could give advice that would be appreciated.

Thanks! :cool2:

Subic is suitable for beginner but Moalboal is better unless you are wreck freak.
Fly into Cebu, taxi to Southern Bus Terminal, public bus to Moalboal and finally tricycle to Panagsama Beach. Dive with Nelson for P900.00 per dive(equipment is extra). I believe Eve's Kiosk, next door to Nelson, has dorm bed available.
As for weather.....no one can guarantee that.

Some people just come to Subic and dive wrecks. For some reason, that leads them to believe that the Bay only has wreck dives. I don't get that blinkered logic really?!?

Yes... Subic is good for beginners...and photographers... and muck diving addicts...and critter spotters... and....

A teaser of the critters: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ph...ay-muck-diving-critter-dives.html#post6311456

Most of the wrecks are also suitable for OW level divers, only the USS New York, LST and Japanese Patrol Boat are beyond OW depth limits. That still leaves a half-dozen wrecks...and numerous reef/artificial reef and muck dive sites.

The weather now is phenomenal... hot, clear and calm. It'll deteriorate slowly into June/July as monsoon starts. Late autumn is typhoon season - still good diving weather generally, unless there's a storm over the northern Philippines. Even then, there's normally enough sheltered area to get a few dives done.

There are backpacker standard rooms (fan-only) available - around $10 a night... and local food (BBQ chicken, rice etc) is about $2 for a meal. It's possible to visit Subic on a limited budget and do some fantastic diving (not just wrecks).

OK thanks for the replies.

I'm definately gonna consider it. From what i can see the journey from Manila should take about 3 hours or so? It's not too hard a journey is it for just 1 day's worth of diving?

Well...

Subic is maybe possible also for a beginner but there is no really need to go to Subic. There are a lot of nicer dive sites in the Philippines and Subic isnt a nice one.

Even if you go to Manila and dont want to go a long way, there are better options.

Go to Batangas/Anilao in the south of Manila. Much better diving there. Or go go a little bit ahead and take the ferry from Batangas to Sabang. A lot of nice dive sites too.

If you looking for diving, Subic wasnt my first choice, but you can go there.

So many 'experts' who did 1-2 days diving here and didn't even ask to see what they wanted... and then got mysteriously disappointed because they got show wrecks which is the 'main' attraction, but certainly not the only one. Get taken to the USS New YOrk etc... which is cheap gas for the dive center, but the
'trademark' dive... then think that is all that Subic has to offer. Doh!?! Whatta mistaka to maka!

America is famous for Cheeseburgers... it'd be idiotic to think that they were the only food available. See the analogy there?

To the OP: Manila to Subic is 3-4 hours, depending on your time of departure. Traffic in Manila (EDSA) accounts for the extra hour any time between 7am and 9pm. Catch a Victory Liner coach (DVD/Air-Con) from EDSA Pasay or Cubao every 30 minutes... to Olongapo. Once there. you can cheap trike or Jeepney to most dive centers. Cost is less than 250php each way.

If you have specific requirements for your dive, just drop me a line....there's plenty of options if you make it clear what sort of dive you're looking for (which many obviously don't).

Getting to Subic is pretty straigth forward with the opening of the new link road couple of yrs ago. But the weekend divers from Manila still prefer the hard drive to Anilao. Blinkered logic or simply no comparison!

By all mean go to Subic and dive the "reef". But when you have the opportunity to dive other places in the country eg. Moalboal. You will know the differences, it is day and night!

So many 'experts' who did 1-2 days diving here and didn't even ask to see what they wanted...

Maybe the "experts" did the dives, saw the differents and made their decision.

But i am back in the Philippines in a couple of month and check out again Subic. Maybe i am wrong.

I promise you are. Will post some more videos filmed from this week's diving later next week... see how that compares to your experience. Been diving here for nearly 5 years... over 1500 dives in the Bay alone....so I've got a fair idea of the different experiences visitors might get :wink:

It doesn't help coming in monsoon/typhoon season though :wink:

Getting to Subic is pretty straigth forward with the opening of the new link road couple of yrs ago. But the weekend divers from Manila still prefer the hard drive to Anilao. Blinkered logic or simply no comparison!

By all mean go to Subic and dive the "reef". But when you have the opportunity to dive other places in the country eg. Moalboal. You will know the differences, it is day and night!

Centrals, given that you have not dived the sites concerned, I don't really see how you can be so confident in your advice. Perhaps it is time to take your blinkers off and actually reconsider your 'expertise' on diving Subic.

It's a big, big bay... with a lot of diversity. Whilst the wrecks are it's 'signature' attraction, they aren't the only thing on the menu. As I said before, it's short-sighted to come and dive wrecks, then make a wild assumption that there isn't anything else.

You come and dive wrecks.... you see wrecks... don't complain about only seeing wrecks. If you come to dive photo... to see muck critters or clear water reef... then that is what you see and what you get.

Most weekend divers from Manila come for a day...get taken to the USS NY and then leave disappointed because it isn't great for photography. Can only blame lazy or uninspired dive centers for not catering to their specific needs.... because there are more appropriate and exciting photo sites available, if the boats went there.

Here's some photos from the last days diving: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ph...-4-days-subic-bay-muck-wreck.html#post6314264

Didn't see that stuff here? Who's to blame?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom