Subsurface & Shearwater Perdix AI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Question I hear alot about windows Apple IOS Android... anyone get any shearwater POS to connect to unix or linux... because there is no way to get the logs off without bluetooth correct?

FYI my peregrine connects with subsurface in Ubuntu out of the box within seconds. That's the only shearwater DC I have, hence I can't tell for the rest but I'd guess they all use similar interface.

@_sgm_ Since you seem to be a UNIX/LINUX guru are you aware that subsurface was originally developed by Linus Torvalds himself (yes apparently he is a diver) who is still somewhat active in its support and development? With the knowledge you seem to have, you could greatly help the dev team I think. Why don't you contact them offering a helping hand to solve the issues you (might) have?

Just saying.

FYI my peregrine connects with subsurface in Ubuntu out of the box within seconds. That's the only shearwater DC I have, hence I can't tell for the rest but I'd guess they all use similar interface.

@_sgm_ Since you seem to be a UNIX/LINUX guru are you aware that subsurface was originally developed by Linus Torvalds himself (yes apparently he is a diver) who is still somewhat active in its support and development? With the knowledge you seem to have, you could greatly help the dev team I think. Why don't you contact them offering a helping hand to solve the issues you (might) have?

Just saying.
You have a point... and a valid one yes I am aware of the fact subsurface is a Linux brew solution by Linus I also am aware that DIvesoft is a open Linux.Unix build and Gamrin is Bsd based...
I know these things due to the the open aspects of these companies with SDK packages... [garmin and divesoft that is ]
As for fixing this... I tried for 180 days to [play nice] with shearwater ... the perdix units are self contained only able to communicate out bluetooth LE /bluetooth ( 4.0 ) verison introduced LE feature we have had a good bit of change since then and simple data the scottish banshee in vancouver for sheartoiletwater refuses to give out any data which would help solve this issue ( she is the gatekeeper )
Support pushes the no Linux line and engineering pushes the no data no information line... when I can cost them 50,000 units vs kissing their rear after playing nice for 6 months... kind of think I would rather have BRS ( their holding company get wind of them loosing foothold due to her arrogance 60M Retail loss is a nice soudnig number ) and when they view the Calls and the Emails it will all fall on HER HEAD the QUEEN of screw you software division at Shearwater bad apps and a bad interface (perdix2) ..

I cannot tell everyone else they have to learn to count ( remember the computers were made so the stupid and lazy could still survive)
However, I could just do what I planned on barring I got the sheartoiletwater answer on the boards as I have from the company BAN and remove the use of shear-toilet-water gear from all our Operations.
Simple solution as Garmin has no issue Divesoft has no issue
I can dump logs from the divesoft and the Garmin in under 30 seconds on site for medical. then the person is off to medical with data needed for medical treatment.
this is not a recreational clown use for flashy apps on platforms of trash ... and we cannot be having a lets dance moment in our operational workflow. ( same way those GUE take a strict approach to diving I have the same thought process on getting diving data to the medical staff ) KISS fast simple clean.
I can say my Petrel 2 definitely downloads to Subsurface on Linux. Can’t see why a Perdix wouldn’t (assuming you have a Bluetooth LE adapter and a current distro). If you do actually want help with Subsurface on any platform (except perhaps FreeBSD - it may or may not be possible to build Subsurface for it) and with any dive computer you are much better off asking on Subsurface Divelog - Google Groups than here.
Ed: I should add - ask nicely if you do genuinely want help

I can say my Petrel 2 definitely downloads to Subsurface on Linux. Can’t see why a Perdix wouldn’t (assuming you have a Bluetooth LE adapter and a current distro). If you do actually want help with Subsurface on any platform (except perhaps FreeBSD - it may or may not be possible to build Subsurface for it) and with any dive computer you are much better off asking on Subsurface Divelog - Google Groups than here.
Valid thought process/ valid point
6 months I had my head deep in this never hit subsurface boards ....
yes Mint on the test unit recent kernel and release is ( within LTS range ) LE adapter etc plus recent build of subsurface..

Thank you for the secondary direction...
side note Petrel uses the Non BT Le connector or does it have a hardwire serial/USB off the CCR connector?

Valid thought process/ valid point
6 months I had my head deep in this never hit subsurface boards ....
yes Mint on the test unit recent kernel and release is ( within LTS range ) LE adapter etc plus recent build of subsurface..

Thank you for the secondary direction...
side note Petrel uses the Non BT Le connector or does it have a hardwire serial/USB off the CCR connector?
The Petrel 2 (my computer) supports both BLE and old-fashioned Bluetooth. Both work for me with Subsurface. Earlier Shearwaters were old-Bluetooth only, more recent ones BLE-only.

The Petrel 2 (my computer) supports both BLE and old-fashioned Bluetooth. Both work for me with Subsurface. Earlier Shearwaters were old-Bluetooth only, more recent ones BLE-only.
for those here .... 5 minutes w subsurface board Not good news for my use case... ( means we cannot get clean dive logs in under 1 minute from the device )
retarded design issue but they saved money on NFC pads and other items which would have been beneficial for my use cases -- but it explains my problem from JUMP I am pissed at myself now and more enraged at shearwater than 10 minutes ago... because this was a known issue then.

(a) doing a "bonding" pair seems to help some people, but it
shouldn't be necessary, and it causes its own set of issues.

In particular, what happens is that "bonding" creates a long-term key
for the pairing, and from all that I can figure out, the Shearwater
will forget that key (and thus stop responding to a bonded connection
attempt) if it is turned off.

Now, "turned off" is the key here. If you have been diving recently,
and the shearwater is still tracking any deco at all (which will take
days), then it won't actually shut off unless you take the batteries
out for a while.

But if you haven't been diving, and are just using your shearwater for
testing (or you do the download after you get home, several days after
the last dive), then any "screen off" will be a power off event.

End result: you don't _have_ to always re-pair with the Shearwater
dive computers, but re-pairing should fix the "desktop thinks it's
bonded, but the shearwater isn't, and they won't communicate until you
unpair and re-pair".

(b) The shearwater bluetooth stack isn't a real bluetooth stack, and
it resets some state at every "start bluetooth", and it won't accept
more than one pairing or connection attempt per such a session.

So if you have problems downloading, you need to *exit* the shearwater
bluetooth mode, and start again, because otherwise if the shearwater
thinks somebody has connected to it (from a previous failed download),
it won't accept a new connection. Same for pairing.

(b) the shearwater BT stack is _slow_. The new "Petrel Native Format"
makes things worse, because it's much chattier (and yes, I suspect
libdivecomputer probably downloads too much, making the problem even
worse).

You only need Bluetooth if you want to download the log. The logs are fully viewable on the computer and give you the data for them. But yeah, the small enclave of persons that have no phone or computer capable of Bluetooth communication need to be catered to... ha
here is some more trash on the sheartoiletwater perdix2
What I have learnt (and by "learnt" I mean "this _seems_ to be true") is

(a) doing a "bonding" pair seems to help some people, but it
shouldn't be necessary, and it causes its own set of issues.

In particular, what happens is that "bonding" creates a long-term key
for the pairing, and from all that I can figure out, the Shearwater
will forget that key (and thus stop responding to a bonded connection
attempt) if it is turned off.

Now, "turned off" is the key here. If you have been diving recently,
and the shearwater is still tracking any deco at all (which will take
days), then it won't actually shut off unless you take the batteries
out for a while.

But if you haven't been diving, and are just using your shearwater for
testing (or you do the download after you get home, several days after
the last dive), then any "screen off" will be a power off event.

End result: you don't _have_ to always re-pair with the Shearwater
dive computers, but re-pairing should fix the "desktop thinks it's
bonded, but the shearwater isn't, and they won't communicate until you
unpair and re-pair".

(b) The shearwater bluetooth stack isn't a real bluetooth stack, and
it resets some state at every "start bluetooth", and it won't accept
more than one pairing or connection attempt per such a session.

So if you have problems downloading, you need to *exit* the shearwater
bluetooth mode, and start again, because otherwise if the shearwater
thinks somebody has connected to it (from a previous failed download),
it won't accept a new connection. Same for pairing.

(b) the shearwater BT stack is _slow_. The new "Petrel Native Format"
makes things worse, because it's much chattier (and yes, I suspect
libdivecomputer probably downloads too much, making the problem even
worse).

Just for some humor, here is what _sgm_ sent me directly. He surely has a way with words and especially adjectives.

"Next time you quote me Use the complete context... this is not a liberal college clown fest... at least do me that much respect...
I DO NOT CARE if the shearwater toilet people can only get fun throwing turds from their toilet punch bowl so be it.
Does not change the FACT
1.) Linux support
2.) Bluetooth driver Windows/Mac Phone requirement
3.) Applicaitons ( coded only for Win/Mac IOS/scamdroid )
4.) No SDK available. ( thus why Divesoft built their own unit )

no way to pull divelogs without a microtrash POS apple POS or a lick a screen zombie device ( FACT NOT OPINION ) MS / Apple are most insecure systems [why do they need virus protection software again?]
UNIX OR LINUX never need it...
Does University of Miami ring a bell?
Do the names Sam H gruber and Hammerschlag?
I remember diving with Sam in the 80's ... doing Shark research....
Piece of advice know who you are shitting on before you pull your pants down!
keep this in mind next time you want to pound your chest"

Back
Top Bottom