Subtle signs of stress

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lermontov

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I had a one or two experiences over the last few months that has made me pay more attention to the subtle signs of stress. Wonder if any one else has picked up any signs that may ben worth noting

Im not talking about obvious ones that you d except with beginner divers- these are with experienced technical divers with 500+ dives under their belt. Ill give a few examples rather than run a 2 page breakdown of the events.
All of these scenarios involve a wreck penetration in the no light zone approx 30m deep
A) CCR diver gets stuck between two railing after he tries to reverse and his unit hits the top railing I go to help him reverse back out - no drama just a few seconds delay - shortly after he swims quickly back and gets his reel caught on the line, rather than stop and sort it he pull forward harder nearly breaking the line until it eventually flipped over and he got free-next he changes the dive plan and instead of following a corridor he sees a window overhead and despite me telling him specifically not to go there in the pre dive planning (due to wires and other hazards) he goes for it and waits outside the wreck
In hindsight maybe that was more stressful for him than me and perhaps we should have taken a minute at a hover to relax

B) Experienced OC diver /instructor drops away from the line and gets too close to a silty engine block and starts flutter kicking causing a small silt out . In all honesty I was aghast at his departure from the usual frog kick and once again in hindsight I read his reverting to flutter kick as a reaction to stress

C) another experienced OC diver -with a clear dive plan discussed in the morning we planned to stop at a certain point and use a jump line to explore some other areas. Once we had crossed a large open area and came in view of the exit door he swam quickly away and darted through the door silting it up as he did so- Im not sure why he did that - maybe I should have discussed it later, but I wonder if he had reached his stress threshold and just wanted out ?

There are a few other subtle things I've noted and they seem minor but i keep reminding myself that there plenty of non verbal signs that could flag us before the trigger event happens -'If something seem wrong it probably is"

I watch for out of rhythm motions. Odd light patterns, kick patterns or uncharacteristic lack of interest in the environment. Something that's taking their task loading up in a subtle way.

With your stories though I'm wondering if you may be being a little gracious... Stop, breath, act would be a very useful tool for a tech diver and I hope it is deeply engrained even if the event is stressful.

Regards,
Cameron

uncharacteristic lack of interest in the environment.

yes thats one Id tag on to C) when you consider how much time money and effort goes into a dive you'd think you would went to spend as much time underwater as you can - I guess if your tense your not enjoying it and want get it over with quickly

Just look at the eyes! It’s difficult to explain but fear and stress always reflect in the eyes. OW instructors see this in some shape or form in new students everyday.

Beyond the obvious, the primary first indicators that I look for are:

1) Decreased situational awareness. Task fixation, resulting in decreased capacity to monitor dive information, team and surrounding environment.

2) Loss of 'skill', where not-yet-ingrained skills perish once task loading swamps conscious processing.

Both are pretty common whenever divers are exceeding the boundaries of their competency and/or confidence.

With open circuit, more bubbles is a clue. And either rapid head movements, or none at all.

I ain't that "advanced", so I know nothing about closed-circuit, or real wreck penetration. Just my observation.

I've noticed a subtle "twitchiness" in peoples movement. Almost like trying to readjust their suit.
you mean like checking and rechecking stuff?

you mean like checking and rechecking stuff?

When I start checking and rechecking my stuff that is a sign that I am feeling some minor anxiety. However I use that as my way of recentering and reducing my anxiety by confirming what I already know about my gas levels and backup light locations and that I haven’t dropped a line cutter. For me those confirmations are reassuring and 99% of the time is enough to put me back where I should be mentally.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom