Subtle signs of stress

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Subtle signs of stress are just that, signs of stress. But not necessarily impending panic. For more experienced divers, I might pay attention and continue to monitor but experienced divers typically know how to manage small stressors. And one can always watch for the reaction to the stress. In the OP's first example, it could be that the stressed diver recognized it and removed the stress by exiting the wreck. In the second example, if the diver quickly reset and resumed good skills, that could be an indicator that the diver dealt with whatever the stressor was. (Not enough detail in the third example to clearly understand the situation.)

I've found myself in a situation where there was either a stressor or my skill lapsed and I removed the stressor or did something to reset and focus on resuming proper skill.

An observer might be able to see the slight increase in stress but it wasn't indicative of pending panic. A buddy should observe, if an opportunity presents a simple "Ok?" can offset the stressor, but if the diver doesn't manage the stress that's when a support action could be appropriate.

Witnessed one today. Irregular finning. A less rhythmic pattern and a little jerky. It turned out the reg was wet breathing badly and water boarding like panic was attempting to settle in while gulping seawater. Switched regs, all good. But the first few minutes the finning was the first sign.

Subtle sign of stress?? Just look for a wedding ring.

Some people like life too much; and when they are faced with a potential loss, they become unusually fussy like a toddler whose favorite toy is being pulled away. They forget all decency, the decorum, a proper finning etiquette, I tell you, they turn into selfish barbarians.

Subtle sign of stress?? Just look for a wedding ring.
There’s three rings in every marriage.

The engagement ring, the wedding ring, and the suffering.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom