Success, but...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I hardly ever am able to clear my ears easily. I have to really focus on it, so I get into a rhythym of breathing and equalizing. If I forget to do this, then I have to ascend a few feet at some point. I'll also start to equalize while I'm on shore or on the boat, before the dive. I find this really helps me. There are lots of us who can't just swallow and go...but the trick is to figure out what works for you. And the only way is with practice.

Oh and congratulations to you and your wife on your certifications. A whole new world awaits!

My wife and I did our certification dives over the weekend.

We both had and absolute blast, and we both passed.:D

Congratulations! There's an amazing world under there - and even better that your wife is doing it with you! I dived alone (figuratively) for 20 years. Took my wife that long to decide she wanted to try it. She did and now she's hooked! It's so much more enjoyable when your wife/spouse/friend shares the sport with you!

Nobody else in the group had issues with this, so that's why is bothering me. My instructor(s) were both very cool about it, and said give it time.

My wife has been diving for a few years now and has trouble equalizing all the time. When we're on a multi-day trip, it seems to get easier for her a few days in, but she always has trouble... She takes her time decending, and once down to around 25 feet, is usually ok. In my opinion, you're normal - nothing to worry about, just different physiologies... As several others have suggested - give it time.

WRT the sinking diver. Always be aware of your group, but be careful in trying to attempt a rescue before you're properly trained. The worst thing you can do is try to help and get yourself into an unsafe situation. I guess what I'm saying is dive (& assist) within your limits.

Good luck diving - hope to see you out there sometime!

The absolute worst thing you can do is try to hurry yourself up in trying to get to the bottom because you feel others are rushing you, and then end up doing damage to your ears.

I have trouble myself with equalizing, and I find it helps if I take a Sudafed in the morning before diving (I've never experienced any trouble in taking it before diving), and lay off the dairy for a day or two before diving as well. Sometimes, when pinching your nose and blowing to equalize, try stretching your neck, rolling your left ear to your left shoulder and looking up and then vice versa on the right side . This can help the eustachian tubes in your ears to straighten out a bit and make equalizing quicker/easier. Also, try doing the 'pinching and blowing your nose' technique several times a day leading up to your dives. This should help stretch them out a bit too and make it that much easier for you to clear your ears upon descending.

Happy diving. :D

I had issues with my ears once again. On our 3rd dive I didn't equalize right. Felt pain, and went back up a few feet. After a few minutes tried again, and made it down. Yesterday the same thing on our last skills portion. The good news is there is no pain now. Once I felt it I went back up a few feet.

Haven't read all posts in thread - so this may have been suggested - but do you equalize at the surface BEFORE descending? Sometimes this can help folks who have trouble equalizing at depth by sort of "zeroing out" the baseline pressure in your ears. If there's any pressure at all at the surface you're already "behind" when you start equalizing a few feet down.

Had a student with the same problem this weekend, and once we tried this she was fine.

I had issues with my ears once again. On our 3rd dive I didn't equalize right. Felt pain, and went back up a few feet. After a few minutes tried again, and made it down. Yesterday the same thing on our last skills portion. The good news is there is no pain now. Once I felt it I went back up a few feet.

Nobody else in the group had issues with this, so that's why is bothering me. My instructor(s) were both very cool about it, and said give it time. I also noticed I had a little bit of mucus/sinus drainage during the day yesterday.

My husband has the same issues with the ear. It is only his left. He does the NeilMed Sinus Rinse for a few days before he dives. That seems to help him the most. On the boat he starts equalizing his ears, too. He found a great article on scubadiving magazine's website about this issue. It helped him tremendously. Good luck!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom