Sucking down a tank quickly

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

One thing that I could suggest is to add a scooter to the camera, then all the issues with the camera would look like a kids joke...

He could scooter with a camera while lobstering during mini-season! :wink:

One thing that I could suggest is to add a scooter to the camera, then all the issues with the camera would look like a kids joke...
If he wants too, why not? I used a DPV on my 9th dive. No issues.

And all anyone is trying to do here is help inform the poster's level of common sense.
No. You are trying to tell him his skills are inadequate- based solely on the number of dives he has, and the fact that you don't like new divers with cameras. Your only concern is to prevent him from enjoying his hobby by trying to convince him not to dive with a camera.

It's ironic that T.C. is outraged that anyone dare suggest that the poster might want to wait a bit to lug a camera on a dive, yet his advice to "go for it if you want to" is perfectly valid. (More so, if you like bold, underline, and italic.)

There's no irony. My advice was to allow him to enjoy his hobby how he likes (with or without a camera), whereas yours is to try use your "advice" to limit what he does. It's telling that you use the word "lug". I've never considered carrying a point and shoot camera as "lugging it".

My last observation here will be this: Having done nearly 1,000 dives all over the world my experience suggests that there is a fairly bimodal distribution of divers that carry cameras:
- divers with phenomenal buoyancy control and excellent situational awareness
- divers with s**tty buoyancy cocontrol and poor situational awareness
I recommend that the poster decide whether or not he falls into the first category... and proceed accordingly.

And here we have it again: the "I'm the best because I have 1,000 dives, and everyone else's opinion is wrong" attitude. And if someone isn't as highly "ranked" as you, they must be in the second catagory.

You're the last person I'd listen to for diving advice, because you're more concerned with thumping your own chest and crowing about your "experience" and how great you are, than actually helping him.

I used a DPV on my 9th dive. No issues.

never considered carrying a point and shoot camera as "lugging it".

the last person I'd listen to for diving advice, because you're more concerned with thumping your own chest and crowing about your "experience" and how great you are, than actually helping him.

'Ello pot! Meet kettle!

No. You are trying to tell him his skills are inadequate- based solely on the number of dives he has, and the fact that you don't like new divers with cameras. Your only concern is to prevent him from enjoying his hobby by trying to convince him not to dive with a camera.

I think you need a new prescription for your reading comprehension glasses. Here's my original post on the matter:

For the most part, no one should dive with a camera until they have 25-50 dives and/or have their buoyancy control nailed down.

My statement was purposely conditional, especially relative to the "and/or" bit. Since I have no idea about the diver's skills, I made no reference whatsoever to whether or not they were adequate. If you read my post above correctly you will see that my advice is clearly that I believe no one should dive with a camera until they have their bouyancy control nailed down. If the OP has his bouyancy control nailed down after 4 dives, cool... he should go ahead and dive with a camera if he wants to.

I have no concern for thumping my own chest. I was providing context for my opinion. (As the old quote says "It ain't bragging if you done it.") If push comes to shove, I think most people would give more weight to an opinion formed on the basis of having seen, trained, and dived with thousands of divers all over the world than I would give to an opinion based on a far less experience. That's not "chest thumping" that's just common sense.

Further, for you to suggest that my "only concern is to prevent him from enjoying his hobby" is assinine at best. My sole concern in providing my advice was to help ensure that he continues to enjoy diving in a safe manner that respects and protects the aquatic envirnoment.

I'm now going to look for the thread disputing the adiabatic nature of transfilling scuba tanks. At least that guy was trying to make sense.

:d

'Ello pot! Meet kettle!

WTF? Where have I bragged about my dive number or experience? Mentioning a camera and the only DPV dive I've done is not bragging.

Epic Fail, pal.

My statement was purposely conditional, especially relative to the "and/or" bit. Since I have no idea about the diver's skills, I made no reference whatsoever to whether or not they were adequate. If you read my post above correctly you will see that my advice is clearly that I believe no one should dive with a camera until they have their bouyancy control nailed down. If the OP has his bouyancy control nailed down after 4 dives, cool... he should go ahead and dive with a camera if he wants to.
Then why mention a dive number at all? Because you attach more dives to more experience and better skills. You can't understand that some new divers can master bouyancy very quickly. You intended it to be contingent on the dive number, thus why you mentioned it. All this is is backtracking now the OP has rejected your point of view.

I have no concern for thumping my own chest. I was providing context for my opinion. (As the old quote says "It ain't bragging if you done it.") If push comes to shove, I think most people would give more weight to an opinion formed on the basis of having seen, trained, and dived with thousands of divers all over the world than I would give to an opinion based on a far less experience. That's not "chest thumping" that's just common sense.
It's still bragging. You're trying to set yourself up as the Scuba King. But hey, if you read it on the internet, it must be true, right? Especially if accompanied by a old WWII picture, right?

Further, for you to suggest that my "only concern is to prevent him from enjoying his hobby" is assinine at best. My sole concern in providing my advice was to help ensure that he continues to enjoy diving in a safe manner that respects and protects the aquatic envirnoment.
Then why the continued attempts to discourage him from carrying a camera? Why blame the cameras for the poor divers you say you saw? It is trying to block a new diver from carrying a camera and enjoying his hobby, because you don't think he should carry it.

I'm now going to look for the thread disputing the adiabatic nature of transfilling scuba tanks. At least that guy was trying to make sense.
untitled.jpg

Then why mention a dive number at all? Because you attach more dives to more experience.

Are you suggesting that there is NOT a connection between number of dives and more experience? Interesting concept.

You can't understand that some new divers can master bouyancy very quickly.

Oh, believe me. I understand that very well.

It's still bragging.

Nah. If I wanted to brag I'd have shared this photo of me excercising pinpoint bouyancy control while carrying a camera. And, I won't even mention that it took me nearly 1,000 dives to get to this level of expertise. ( I will leave off the "1,000 dives" partly to make you happy... but mostly because this picture was actually taken on logged dive #11.)

:d

GoodViz2.jpg

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ba...when-you-fill-them-higher-pressure-tanks.html

Edtl3fwl.jpg

Attachments

• Edtl3fwl.jpg
    Edtl3fwl.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 70
Just dove with my son - who is 20 - I am 55. He is extraordinarily aerobically fit - plays full college soccer game plus double overtime at full bore. I'm pudgy and need to do more jogging. I used about 1000 psi less than he did on identical dive only because I have dived a lot and am relaxed and he is less so. Now, if he dove a lot, he would kill me. I outweigh him by 50lbs too. Years ago I too was fit as a fiddle and used way less air than now so perfect combination is fit, experienced and relaxed. Dive more and stay fit and try to relax. You will be way ahead of dad in a couple.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom